Show off your orange cheek Pleco!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I’m confused here... what’s the scientific name for orange cheeks?
I thought it was pseudorinelepis genibarbis

They don't have a species assigned to it right now, hence the L095 designation. So just go by Pseudorinelepis sp. (L095)

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Ohhh okay so the full name with species refers to the one without the orange?
Yes, according to planetcatfish. They keep the site up to date on scientific names. I know you will still find other places calling the L095 Pseudorinelepis genibarbis

Reactions: Rob909

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Here is what I know about psuedarinelepis. Genibarbis is the officially described species. In the official description they said they are brown to dark charcoal gray with few if any spots. During their collection they did note there was one outlier from a collection point in the Rio Branco with orange cheeks and heavy spotting. At the time they did not know if it had to do with mating, sexual dimorphism, age related, or color morph/different species. We have since learned they are most likely a color morph or a different species. Hence the L095 designation until they can be officially described/categorized. Unfortunately if you search genibarbis you will get mostly pics of the L095.

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Thanks Rocksor Rocksor and exodus1500 exodus1500 , great info! The link worked. I searched for genibarbis before and yes, orange cheeks came up. But also the brown ones with less spots. Searching psudorhinelepis sp. gave me just orange cheeks. Thank you!

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
So you getting one of the L095 from West Covina? Doesn't quite get more local than that
Funny you mention it, I was actually considering it but I just put a 12” blue eye in my tank and I’m worried the two may fight. That’s a lot of fish to be fighting in a 125. I intend to upgrade but I’m not ready yet.
I don’t know if I should get one now, or wait to find a smaller one. I found someone that says they’ll get smaller ones and will ship it to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store