Show Your Parachromis!

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
why not a 5 or 6 ft tank?
Width; I figure if he outgrows a 75 he will better benefit from a wider tank not to mention I have one in storage at my parents place. Tank is new but 5hrs round trip thus im procrastinating getting it till I have to upgrade.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Width; I figure if he outgrows a 75 he will better benefit from a wider tank not to mention I have one in storage at my parents place. Tank is new but 5hrs round trip thus im procrastinating getting it till I have to upgrade.
well, yea I guess the width is nice, but 4 feet won't give him any room to swim....for a fish that can grow 14-18", 6 ft is minimum

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Great looking jag, your doing a great job with him. Keep him alone and looking good, sick of my community for the same reason. Hence me going for just the dovii and a female in my 300 in the next year.

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I've never seen a domestic Jag in excess of 14", honestly I've had Oscars get larger in terms of mass than any Jag I've seen. My female Syn and Crasipinnis are similar length to my Jag but are much larger due to mass. I think he will be fine in his 75 for at least another year or two; but he has the upgrade available when necessary. I like 4ft tanks because I can haul them without renting a truck and I can pack my fish room with more tanks lol I have a 5ft gap for his tank so I could do a 5ft setup however I'd rather see a 14"+ fish in a square tank than shoved in a long narrow one. Plus I already have the tank setup in storage.

I have a few community cichlid setups but for the bruisers IMO they are better kept as lone wet pets.

That is a beautiful pair of Dovii, the female has some of the best color I've seen on a lady dovii. :)

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I've never seen a domestic Jag in excess of 14", honestly I've had Oscars get larger in terms of mass than any Jag I've seen. My female Syn and Crasipinnis are similar length to my Jag but are much larger due to mass. I think he will be fine in his 75 for at least another year or two; but he has the upgrade available when necessary. I like 4ft tanks because I can haul them without renting a truck and I can pack my fish room with more tanks lol I have a 5ft gap for his tank so I could do a 5ft setup however I'd rather see a 14"+ fish in a square tank than shoved in a long narrow one. Plus I already have the tank setup in storage.

I have a few community cichlid setups but for the bruisers IMO they are better kept as lone wet pets.

That is a beautiful pair of Dovii, the female has some of the best color I've seen on a lady dovii. :)
I have seen a few jags 16+ inch if your planning on keeping him for his natural life you have to plan on him getting that size.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
M Mel O has a big jag, pushing 17+ inch? Check his 1400g on YouTube.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Brighton aquarium in the UK has a tank of about 25 females most over 14 inch.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Here it is, jags are 10yrs old and in the 20 inch range, it's a 1000g tank.

This was several years ago but I'm guessing they were fully grown, shows what proper care can yield... jags are easily stunted obviously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store