Shrimp guy stopped over

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here on the island of Taboga, besides the ocean fishermen, there are hunter gatherer guys that make a little money by going into the jungle to bring mangos, avocados, and other fruits that seem to grow wild. About 90% of the island is thick forest.
fullsizeoutput_1de.jpeg
One of our main guys goes up to some seasonal pools and streams, (after seeing my tank), and brings back shrimp and other crustaceans.
He found a sleeper last week.
fullsizeoutput_163c.jpeg
Today he brought back a bucket of freshwater shrimp, and half dozen avocados.
fullsizeoutput_16be.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16c7.jpeg
The smaller ones get in fights with the larger shrimp, and once one is incapacitated, the cichlids and goby's move in as a pack to clean up the remains.
fullsizeoutput_16d4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16cd.jpegfullsizeoutput_16cf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d6.jpeg

Attachments

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Way less active than a wolf, I only see it once every 3 days or so, because it hides under rock ledges partially buried, and if I was waiting for it to move, I might fall asleep.
The Awaous is much more animated, and entertaining, chasing the cichlids around, and constantly sifting thru the sand, and eating algae off rocksfullsizeoutput_165c.jpeg.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
After stalking the crawdad (almost the length of the fish) for about an hour
fullsizeoutput_16f3.jpeg
the sleeper finally hit. After grabbing it, the Eleotris spun like a croc knocking the crustacean senseless, before working it slowly down with its second set of pharyngeal jaws.
fullsizeoutput_1713.jpeg
Shot taken from above, the legs are still slightly visible.
fullsizeoutput_1710.jpeg
All shrimp or crawdads are not subjected to predations, I use a double sump, and put one in each to help break down detritus. Below, one sitting on a block of porous media.
fullsizeoutput_1728.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store