Shy Fire Eel

Joshua75

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
When my prior tank crashed I lost my fire eel. He was my favorite fish. I finally found another one at the store that seemed outgoing, but the lady netted the wrong one I think. He or she is super timid and just hides all the time. My old one would take worms from my hand. This one runs away from the worms alone. Very skittish. Tank mates are bichirs and angels. No one is picking on him. He's still small, only about 8 to 10 inches and skinny.

I know unique fish have unique personalities. I miss my old eel. I guess my question is what could I do to increase his confidence? Would dither fish help? I know they brought out my old severum, but I don't know about the eel. Also kinda cramped on tank space at the moment so I don't think I could do a school.

Tank is 75 gallons. Being upgraded in a month or two. (Stupid remodel went horribly wrong so I wasn't able to upgrade when I wanted.) Going to try for a 210. All the fish are pretty young except the ornate bichir. He's about 15 to 16 inches. Then there is a smaller speckled bichir, a young lapradei, and an ity bity senegal in a breeder box. Two angelfish, and the eel. Before you chastize me for overstocking I'm well aware that these fish are outgrowing this tank. The only reason I have them all is cause they're still young. If the remodel takes too long I will have to rehome some. I have two Cascade 1000 canister filters. temp sits between 78 and 80. Salted water. Weekly 50% water changes. Crushed coral. The water condition is immaculate. The ornate pecks at the smaller bichirs occasionally but never seems to do any real damage. Otherwise it's a peaceful tank. The ornate utterly ignores anything but other bichirs. I don't have any proper hides cause the bichirs all seem to get along better without them. When I put hides in they'd fight. That said, the eel may just need one.

So I guess my eel is just shy. Which is a little disappointing. You think time will boost his confidence? If you think dither fish would work I'm open to suggestions. I imagine in the 210 I could do a school. As for right now I don't really expect to fit any more fish in there and don't know if that would help. Unless maybe there's a single fish I could get. Do fire eels like company? Maybe a companion. Then I'd better just get a 300. lol. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just curious about peoples experience with eels and hoping someone will say that theirs was shy but opened up later. It's only been about a week so far.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You just need to give him time to settle after the netting and for him to get used to your hand being the deliverer or food, tank mates, environment etc...

But to be honest, if you are going to have to move him again in the near future i would probably not expect too much, since even if he gets used to you now, he’ll probably go back to hiding again after the move to his new tank and you’ll need to start all over again... at least thats my guess on what will happen...

Reactions: Rob909 and tlindsey

Joshua75

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
You just need to give him time to settle after the netting and for him to get used to your hand being the deliverer or food, tank mates, environment etc...

But to be honest, if you are going to have to move him again in the near future i would probably not expect too much, since even if he gets used to you now, he’ll probably go back to hiding again after the move to his new tank and you’ll need to start all over again... at least thats my guess on what will happen...
That makes sense. Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Fire eels are like that in new environments.

Once they get settled and start accepting food from you, then it's just too damn difficult to keep them away from foods.

My fire eels kinda make it difficult for my bichirs to get food

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I used to offer blood worms and then after the fire eel started eating them I started to hand feed him the blood worm cube and he would come out whenever he saw the cube in my hand only took a week.

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
+1 on taking time to settle in.
I’ve kept my fire eels in their own tanks until I can get them used to being hand fed so I make sure they’re eating. I have a little trouble getting them on food initially, but as stated above, once they’re used to being hand fed, they come to your hand for ANYTHING! Water changes, plant maintenance, sand leveling, fork removal(for the pleco’s veggies). They really can’t stay away. Mine always swims up to the glass when I walk up, hoping for food.

Reactions: AnthonyFish20
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store