Sick Flowerhorn

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I also have no problems with blind or eye damaged fish.
I had a pair nicararguense that spawned 3 times after a bout with ick, and a 2ndary infection damaged their eyes.

The photo above, is post infection.
A 12" cichlid in a 75 gallon is quite cramped, especially housed with any other fish.
To prevent infections like this I would suggest every other day 30-40% water changes to keep water quality high, a 12" cichlid pumps out plenty of urine, and in a tank that small, for the size fish, a tank full of urine soup happens quickly.
Just saw this. Thanks for your help.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
It almost seems like the opinions are 50/50 on the type of salt. Does appear that many advise NaCl if the fish got physical damage which initiated the eye problem. Which makes sense to help prevent infection. So without further comments from others I would stay with the salt, probably at dose Duanes recommended (or lower). Do not get your hopes up.
One thing, if you can afford it (especially with a FH) and you stay fishkeeping, try to build up a medicine cabinet so to speak so you have meds on hand. I do it primarily because of all the things I read on the forum.
Also, not sure about flowerhorms, but for my SA cichlids I change at least 60% water every 5-6 days (less than a week). Which is still probably not as much as I like.
I have 7 fish tanks and have had fish since I was 17 but I have never had anything like this. I usually do the water change at least 50% but usually it’s low enough for his KOK.l To be popping out of the water. So in all reality with the huge sponge filter and his cave he likes to sleep in it’s more than 50% but I know what your saying. I test his water weekly and his water is good. He was in his own 125g but it sprung a leak so I had to find another tank ASAP that’s why he is in a 75g now. I have had him for two years and he was 8” when I got him. I do have meds on hand but not salt because I never use it. I have the basic kordon ichX, metro, Kanaplex focus so I can use those in food, General cure some other things but I never use them. I don’t buy new fish because mine spawn so I have to find homes because I don’t have enough tanks. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. I guess I won’t add the rest of the salt and I will just continue with the water changes. Can you use clove oil on a fish this size? I have only had to put to sleep a couple livebearers so I don’t know.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have 7 fish tanks and have had fish since I was 17 but I have never had anything like this. I usually do the water change at least 50% but usually it’s low enough for his KOK.l To be popping out of the water. So in all reality with the huge sponge filter and his cave he likes to sleep in it’s more than 50% but I know what your saying. I test his water weekly and his water is good. He was in his own 125g but it sprung a leak so I had to find another tank ASAP that’s why he is in a 75g now. I have had him for two years and he was 8” when I got him. I do have meds on hand but not salt because I never use it. I have the basic kordon ichX, metro, Kanaplex focus so I can use those in food, General cure some other things but I never use them. I don’t buy new fish because mine spawn so I have to find homes because I don’t have enough tanks. Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. I guess I won’t add the rest of the salt and I will just continue with the water changes. Can you use clove oil on a fish this size? I have only had to put to sleep a couple livebearers so I don’t know.
Well, you sound sorta like me in terms of what you do. Salt is easy to get so stocking that shouldn't be needed.
As far as clove oil and euthanizing have you tried the MFK search? Should be able to find something on this.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Well, you sound sorta like me in terms of what you do. Salt is easy to get so stocking that shouldn't be needed.
As far as clove oil and euthanizing have you tried the MFK search? Should be able to find something on this.
No not really because I know the recommended is blunt force trama and there is no way I can do that. I will look later. I think I am totally emotionally drained. Thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: LBDave

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Yes he got scared and hit his KOK at least that’s where I see physical damage. I only used the salt because I was advised. I know nothing about salt or meds for that matter.
Have you eaten pickled vegetables? Salt is a way of preserving food from going rotten, i.e. being subjected to bacterial decomposition. Well, what we try to do in a fish tank is pickle everything else bar the fish.

Duane is a bit conservative, but if you've written off the fish, two table spoons of salt per 10 gallons of water is about the dose to try, slowly, not dumping it all at once, and it should be first dissolved in water.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Have you eaten pickled vegetables? Salt is a way of preserving food from going rotten, i.e. being subjected to bacterial decomposition. Well, what we try to do in a fish tank is pickle everything else bar the fish.

Duane is a bit conservative, but if you've written off the fish, two table spoons of salt per 10 gallons of water is about the dose to try, slowly, not dumping it all at once, and it should be first dissolved in water.
I don’t want to write him off. All I want to do is try to help. Thank you. I have dissolved 1350 grams of salt in water and added a little bit a few hours ago.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
But I was shown a link that said 18g of salt per gallon so for 75g tank that’s 1350g correct?
Sorry, nearly midnight here after a long day work. I actually did not see that link/advice. It sounds way too much to me. You're pickling the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store