Sick jewel cichlid

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I’m not an expert, but from what I do know about jewels, is that they are extremely aggressive, especially when breeding is in their plans. Almost all the literature I have read about them says that if you have a pair breeding, that they will often kill other jewels in the tank. You said they were in a big tank, how big? I’m just wondering if you may have gotten away from territorial/spawning squabbles because of the size of the tank. Then one day this guy may have wandered a bit too far into another pair’s territory and got a bite on the gill?

I agree with tlindsey tlindsey on keeping water pristine, if you can dose with some salt and keep an eye on it. Just my thoughts.
They are in a 210 gallon tank with an arowana and Vieja synspilum who don't even acknowledge they are there. I took out other tank mates a while back for another tank.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I’m not an expert, but from what I do know about jewels, is that they are extremely aggressive, especially when breeding is in their plans. Almost all the literature I have read about them says that if you have a pair breeding, that they will often kill other jewels in the tank. You said they were in a big tank, how big? I’m just wondering if you may have gotten away from territorial/spawning squabbles because of the size of the tank. Then one day this guy may have wandered a bit too far into another pair’s territory and got a bite on the gill?

I agree with tlindsey tlindsey on keeping water pristine, if you can dose with some salt and keep an eye on it. Just my thoughts.
They are in a 210 gallon tank with an arowana and Vieja synspilum who don't even acknowledge they are there. I took out other tank mates a while back for another tank.

Reactions: Matteus

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
There is a green terror as well but is the most gentle cichlid I've ever had and I've had CICHLIDS my whole life!

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
So has anything come about with this? Has the jewel recovered?...

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
So has anything come about with this? Has the jewel recovered?...
UPDATE!!! So the inflammation has went down a lot and he started eating again but still isn't strong enough to fight for food so I siphoned water from the tank into a ten gallon and placed him in it. I thawed some frozen bloodworms to make sure he would eat and he definitely is. I found out he's the male from the trio I have because there has been no more breeding activity since he's gotten I'll but so far he seems to be recovering so fingers crossed!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store