Sick Oscar

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
In the process of a water change right now and my little Gir decided it was a good idea to be extra dramatic, I'm sure because he doesn't feel good, so I took the opportunity to get a good picture of the sores on his tail where the fuzz fell off.
I would like to say "don't worry, he's been doing this during every water change since he started feeling bad" but I'm very worried because he only started doing this during water changes when he started feeling bad.

20210214_130112.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In the process of a water change right now and my little Gir decided it was a good idea to be extra dramatic, I'm sure because he doesn't feel good, so I took the opportunity to get a good picture of the sores on his tail where the fuzz fell off.
I would like to say "don't worry, he's been doing this during every water change since he started feeling bad" but I'm very worried because he only started doing this during water changes when he started feeling bad.

View attachment 1451382
I've read how the Oscar can be dramatic. Great to hear the fungus has fallen off.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
I've read how the Oscar can be dramatic. Great to hear the fungus has fallen off.
Yes, they can be very dramatic. Just a month or two ago he got ahold of an algea wafer I had dropped in for the snail's that used to be in his tank. It was so funny! He bit it, spit it out, turned pale and layed down on the bottom of the tank and refused to eat for the rest of the day ?

He liked to torment the snails as well. He would wait until they got halfway up the tank, then pluck them off the glass and drop them.

I honestly would be heartbroken if I lost this guy. His antics make my day.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Update: The last of the fuzz came off just a few minutes ago.
He's acting extra stressed today. He's hiding his face behind the pipes, and is a little bit paler than normal.
I'm keeping the lights off today to hopefully help with the stress.
The meds were delivered just a little bit ago.
Finishing up a water change right now so I can get the meds in the water asap.
Keep your fingers crossed for him guys, he looks pretty rough.

Rocksor, do you think stress coat would be a good idea at this point?

20210215_145022.jpg

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Another update.
I have been thinking this past day that euthanizing him might be the kinder option.
He looks like he has pretty much given up. He's currently staying in the top back corner of the tank with his face against the glass and doesn't move. He still isn't eating. The fuzz that fell off of him was covering a lot of damage, no photos I take can do it justice, and it has to be extremely painful.
I really don't want to give up on him, but I also don't want to put him through any more.
At this point, I'm going to give this fungus cure a chance to do it's job, but if I don't see a marked improvement in his behavior or overall health, then I believe it would be in his better interest to say goodbye.
I will continue to try to keep as stress free and comfortable as possible for now and
I will continue to keep you guys updated on him.
And once again, thanks for the help. I just wish I would have come here sooner instead of taking the advice of "know it all" facebook keepers first.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
It's only been a day since the fungus fell off... maybe give it a few more days atleast ... just my 2 cents.. sorry to hear about the oscar... just saw my tt eel has a white eye and I'm panicking already lol... hard to lose a pet u love

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store