Sick Oscar

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
It's only been a day since the fungus fell off... maybe give it a few more days atleast ... just my 2 cents.. sorry to hear about the oscar... just saw my tt eel has a white eye and I'm panicking already lol... hard to lose a pet u love
I just started the fungus cure treatment yesterday. I'm assuming the salt is what took care of the general infection. According to the box it's a 4 day treatment. But the infection had moved into meaty part of his tail and when it finally came off it left some exposed muscle and tendon. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Maybe he will perk up.
What gets me is my first oscar was ignorantly mistreated and neglected for most of the first part of his life and lived to be 10 years old and grew into a 13 inch beast of a fish.
He was the reason I fell in love with oscars and after losing him I promised myself I wouldn't get another one unless I could properly care for it.
This guy started his life in a 55 gallon. I tried my hardest to do everything right.
I saved the money to get a bigger tank for him and did, and have every intentions of upgrading him again as he continues to grow. I give him food variety, I clean his tank every weekend, I even built his filtration system to better suit his needs. Lots of bio media (filter sponge, lava rock, ceramic rings) an algea scrubber, a place to keep his heaters out of reach so he doesn't break them. I went out and bought plants that he could shred but they'd just keep growing (java moss and hornwort).
I have spared no expenses on trying to keep him happy, healthy, and spoiled.
Other than the ich he came from the pet store with, which I knocked out pretty quickly, he's been extremely healthy and happy. But then this happened and it happened so fast! The poor thing hasn't even had the opportunity to enjoy his new bigger home.
But the most heartbreaking part of it all is that he's always been so EXTRA. He didn't go through the new home pout when I bought him. He was eating out of my hand within a week. He very much let me know when he didn't like a new food (everything from playing dead to full on tank wrecking tantrums lol). When I moved, he had no issues settling right in. This little guy has never missed a beat. And now he just looks so tired and unhappy.
If worse comes to worse, at least I can say I tried. He could have ended up with someone who didn't care because "it's just a fish". At least I can say I did give him a decent life, and I really hope I can continue to do so. He deserves the world.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
My stubborn little baby is still hanging on, which really has me torn. So I need your guys more educated opinions.
He has shown no improvement from last night other than his tail looks to be "scabbing over". He's still drifting around the tank and can't keep himself upright.
But he's still trying to swim.
Do I continue to fight with him?
Or at this point, is he too far gone?

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
I just started the fungus cure treatment yesterday. I'm assuming the salt is what took care of the general infection. According to the box it's a 4 day treatment. But the infection had moved into meaty part of his tail and when it finally came off it left some exposed muscle and tendon. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Maybe he will perk up.
What gets me is my first oscar was ignorantly mistreated and neglected for most of the first part of his life and lived to be 10 years old and grew into a 13 inch beast of a fish.
He was the reason I fell in love with oscars and after losing him I promised myself I wouldn't get another one unless I could properly care for it.
This guy started his life in a 55 gallon. I tried my hardest to do everything right.
I saved the money to get a bigger tank for him and did, and have every intentions of upgrading him again as he continues to grow. I give him food variety, I clean his tank every weekend, I even built his filtration system to better suit his needs. Lots of bio media (filter sponge, lava rock, ceramic rings) an algea scrubber, a place to keep his heaters out of reach so he doesn't break them. I went out and bought plants that he could shred but they'd just keep growing (java moss and hornwort).
I have spared no expenses on trying to keep him happy, healthy, and spoiled.
Other than the ich he came from the pet store with, which I knocked out pretty quickly, he's been extremely healthy and happy. But then this happened and it happened so fast! The poor thing hasn't even had the opportunity to enjoy his new bigger home.
But the most heartbreaking part of it all is that he's always been so EXTRA. He didn't go through the new home pout when I bought him. He was eating out of my hand within a week. He very much let me know when he didn't like a new food (everything from playing dead to full on tank wrecking tantrums lol). When I moved, he had no issues settling right in. This little guy has never missed a beat. And now he just looks so tired and unhappy.
If worse comes to worse, at least I can say I tried. He could have ended up with someone who didn't care because "it's just a fish". At least I can say I did give him a decent life, and I really hope I can continue to do so. He deserves the world.
I am so sorry for you! This made my eyes watery. From the bottom of my heart I really hope he gets better :)

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Anti-biotics can take up to a week for you to see some effect. I have seen the loss of a tail affecting the ability to swim. How does he do when you lower the tank level to the point that there is only 1" above him?

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
I moved him to a basket I fashioned a few months ago out of knitting plastic (I made it as a temporary holder for my daughter's evil little platys until I could separate them into their own tank). I didn't want him bumping into things. I placed it over his bubbler and put one of the heaters in it.
Today is water change day, he gets the second dose of fungus cure at 7:00 tonight. But if you think it's best, I'll lower the water for him and give you an update.
Here's a pic of him in the basket. He's upside-down, but seems a bit more calm.
I also got a decent picture of the worst of his injury and what looks like something that could possibly be scabbing.
I wish I could have gotten better pics of the damage before the scabbing.

20210217_091004.jpg

20210217_084311.jpg

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
If you think the tail will grow back, and have airline tubing and t-junctions, you could try what this person did for his gold fish

I don't have a whole lot of hope for his tail. But I have boxes and boxes of aquarium supplies. I'm sure it could find the necessary things, and if not, walmart and petsmart are both just 10 minutes away.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Final update. My little baby just passed.
Thank you to everyone for the support.
Thank you Rocksor for all of the help and advice.
It really means a lot.

Happy baby pic for everyone to enjoy.

20200710_202629.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store