Sick Red Wolf Fish

hyena

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2023
Hi guys. This is my first post so I apologize if Im posting in the wrong thread.

About a month ago, my red wolf fish came down with a sickness. Before this he was extremely active. Looks like it was either ich or epistylis (photos of the spots is attached).

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.23.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.24.01 PM.png

He isn't new to me and I fed him feeder fish once maybe a week or two before this (never will do this again). So I assume the sickness either came from them, or from stress. I asked my LPS about treatments for this and they gave me paraguard (Im in Canada and the selection of ich treatments is quite sparse). I started with a half dose and after a day the spots went away. The days following this he seemed to be a little irritated and would twitch his head aggressively and his breathing was pretty rapid. Looked as if he was gasping. I read into this and his symptoms looked along the lines of a paraguard overdose. I administered the half dose by diluting it in a small water bucket and poured it near the his cave. There isn't much flow in the tank so Im assuming it settled near his home and was too concentrated.

Through all of this I was doing about 30% water changes. Then 50% every day when I noticed the "overdose".

Its been about a month and he's been hiding in his cave ever since. He does come out a little at night but I can tell his energy is low. The times he does come out, he would thrash himself on rocks, plants, anything in the tank. My friend came over and I explained this to him and he told me he still may have ich. That made sense since it very much looked like he is trying to scratch himself. I decided to resume treatment this time without paraguard (in hopes not to overdose him) and I just bumped the temp slowly and added salt. After about 2 days of this, he busted his lip. I assume he was trying to scratch himself and he caused some damage to himself this was about 3 days ago (photo attached).

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.27.02 PM.png

Then he stopped eating. Before this, even through his sickness he was eating just fine but now he cant be bothered to eat anything I used to feed him. Im not sure if this has to do with him being sick, or his injury. I've also recently noticed (this week) a red rash on his underbelly. This looks like its gotten worse as well. (photos attached)

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.26.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.26.28 PM.png

My water parameters have been on point this whole time and my other fish (birchir, orange pike, and magnum pleco) look healthy and are eating fine.

Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this? I love this fish so much please help me save him!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I assume the sickness either came from them
Welcome aboard
Yes definitely possible.

There isn't much flo
That made sense since it very much looked like he is trying to scratch himself.
Agree
w in the tank so Im assuming it settled near his home and was too concentrated.
That could have affected the wolfish.
red rash on his underbelly
Probably from scratching itself.
Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this?
The wolfish is stressed from the ich hopefully things will get better. In the future feed non living foods or quarantine feeders for a month or more before feeding to your fish.
Keep your I on your others fish they may be affected because the ich is on the substrate as well so vacuum well during wc's.

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest removing any ornaments or objects in the aquarium except the cave for awhile. That will keep the wolfish from flashing aka scratching itself on the ornaments etc.

Reactions: kno4te

hyena

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2023
Welcome aboard
Yes definitely possible.

That could have affected the wolfish.

Probably from scratching itself.

The wolfish is stressed from the ich hopefully things will get better. In the future feed non living foods or quarantine feeders for a month or more before feeding to your fish.
Keep your I on your others fish they may be affected because the ich is on the substrate as well so vacuum well during wc's.
Thanks for your reply. Since I started treatment with salt and a higher temp, he stopped "scratching" himself. It was on the first night when he busted his lip but hes swimming more calmly now.

Whats more concerning to me is the red belly and the fact he stopped eating. Usually the marks left on him from the thrashing are darker spots. Like bruises. The photo I attached showing his belly shows those dark spots all over his underside but around his anus it looks more rash-like.

I only fed feeder fish once. Never going to do it again. I usually feed him either blood worms, krill, or earthworms.

My birchir didnt eat for one day which was irregular for him but is now back to eating.

Reactions: tlindsey

hyena

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2023
I suggest removing any ornaments or objects in the aquarium except the cave for awhile. That will keep the wolfish from flashing aka scratching itself on the ornaments etc.
I was able to get a good look at his belly and it looks like there are a few scratches on him. That could be causing the "rash". Im afraid it's a sign he getting an infection? What kinds of things can I do to prevent/treat it if it gets worse?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can try a salt dip. 4 tsp per g in a bucket. Then place back in the tank. Don’t feed anymore live food.

hyena

Feeder Fish
Mar 10, 2023
Can try a salt dip. 4 tsp per g in a bucket. Then place back in the tank. Don’t feed anymore live food.
Today, his lip and underbelly cuts are still red. His fins are also looking more rough today.

I have seachem Prime, Stability, Paraguard, and Stress Guard. Would any of these help?

I'll try out the salt bucket. How long sound I keep him in the salt dip for?

bettapatua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2020
Today, his lip and underbelly cuts are still red. His fins are also looking more rough today.

I have seachem Prime, Stability, Paraguard, and Stress Guard. Would any of these help?

i have face this problems with my red wolf before. He slowly recover with salt + water exchange + lowering the light.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Those meds won’t help. I’d dip for 15-30 seconds. If the fish is stressed then immediately place back into the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store