Sick RTC, pop eye, no appetite

redtailcat!!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2022
So I have a red tail catfish he’s about 14 inches long, he is currently sick and not eating I’ve seen signs of bacterial infections. Pop eye, not eating, and fin rot I’ve been treating this with API Melafix for about two days now. He is still active as normal but shows no sign in eating like he used to. I’m going to continue treatment to cure the fin rot and pop eye. Any idea when his hunger will come back?

image.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So I have a red tail catfish he’s about 14 inches long, he is currently sick and not eating I’ve seen signs of bacterial infections. Pop eye, not eating, and fin rot I’ve been treating this with API Melafix for about two days now. He is still active as normal but shows no sign in eating like he used to. I’m going to continue treatment to cure the fin rot and pop eye. Any idea when his hunger will come back?

View attachment 1507636
Thread is a bit old. Might want to try posting in the sick fish area.
A read through that area in the meantime may give you some insight.
Imo melafix is junk and worthless if not detrimental to fish health.
Welcome and sorry to hear about your sick fish. Be ready to post tank parameters as this will be possibly helpful in helping you.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK! As you said, the fish is sick rather obviously. Melafix is a mild antiseptic for the external bacteria. The RTC's problem seems definitely internal, so I fail to see the logic because I don't see fin rot on the fish. Some believe in Mela and Pimafix, many don't. I am with the latter FWIW.

In any case, the main thing is to find the root cause. Most commonly fish experience some stress before falling ill. You must attempt to find the cause of stress and eliminate it. Medication will not eliminate it. Without finding the cause and eliminating it, there is no hope for improvement, or even if it occurs, for a long term success.

I will split off your post into your own thread in the right forum.

redtailcat!!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2022
The problem I am facing at the moment is poor water quality. I have nitrites under control but my nitrates are skyrocketing, I carried out a 20% water change earlier on this morning but it’s still high. This all stemmed from bad filtration I fixed that problem and I even added some plants to the tank to maybe help. I am new to the hobby and have a lot to learn about water quality. I appreciate all the help and knowledge!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The problem I am facing at the moment is poor water quality. I have nitrites under control but my nitrates are skyrocketing, I carried out a 20% water change earlier on this morning but it’s still high. This all stemmed from bad filtration I fixed that problem and I even added some plants to the tank to maybe help. I am new to the hobby and have a lot to learn about water quality. I appreciate all the help and knowledge!
I've been where are as a newbie and still learning 😆. I suggest continuing the water changes. Also during the next water change clean filter of any debris. Dip the biomedia in a bucket of water that was removed from the aquarium. Depending on the nitrate level and amount of plants used it may not be enough to remove all nitrate produced.
Here is link that has some good info on nitrate.
There are more threads like the one below.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/api-test-kit-help.748568/post-8440431

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nitrate is only significantly removed by water changes, filtration does not remove them.
The size of your tank may be the determiner of how large, and how often your water changes need to be.
How large is the tank?
And what are your nitrate readings?
1st off, you'll need to bring down nitrate to below 5ppm.
If this means daily 50% water changes, so be it.
And then once nitrate is down, work up a schedule that keeps nitrate low.
The smaller the tank, the more and larger the changes need to be.
Lets say (because you haven't said, its in a 200 gal tank.
I would guess a water change schedule of 40% of the tanks volume every other day, would not be over doing it.
And beyond the water changes, as far as meds go, sound like you need a broad spectrum, high end anti-biotic.

redtailcat!!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2022
It’s a 75 gallon bow front my 300 gallon stock tank had a leak so I had to put him in that for right now. I’ve been using fritz Maracyn oxy for the fin rot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store