Silurus Merdionalis thread

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
If they're anything like asotus, they're practically indestructible and will do fine in the can- possibly even for the next week and a half (though that certainly isn't good for the fish). Have personally witnessed masses of asotus crammed into washtubs for days on end at markets in South Korea; supposedly they did fine like that, and were fed ripped up weather loach bits so they didn't starve. Seen the same thing with Channa argus, and some sort of eel as well, though it seems as though any live freshwater fish other than Misgurnus being sold at said markets seem to be a rarity nowadays.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
thank you. tonight he will be back in a tank. i feel as though he will be fine. He was swimming. i put a cycled sponge filter in there as well. he should be fine for less than 24 hours hopefully. My initial worry was that a shard of glass could have pierced him, but to my knowledge, most of the pieces of glass were very large sizes all over 6 inches.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Here is his new tank! Finally makes him look small. He is very muscular and when I moved him with a damp rag, I really had to try to control him.
Lol, I am going to guess that you don't fish, do you? :)

That is a very cool fish; I love that mottled, marbled pattern. Can't tell how his tail looks in those pics. Is it properly shaped, or does it have any of the weird misshapen appearance that many of these fish seem prone to show?

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Lol, I am going to guess that you don't fish, do you? :)

That is a very cool fish; I love that mottled, marbled pattern. Can't tell how his tail looks in those pics. Is it properly shaped, or does it have any of the weird misshapen appearance that many of these fish seem prone to show?
Only for striper 😂.
I joke that the reason i keep all these big monsters is because I could never catch them lol. My wels only has a weird tail as he was very skittish in his smaller tanks and would hit his tail I assume. It’s very odd. But other than that he is perfect. His tail is kinda normal again but a little V is still there. I appreciate the kind words. I’ve raised him since August of last year. I really want an albino one for my pond 😂

Reactions: jjohnwm

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Beautiful fish!
Have you ever tried hand feeding? I could get my asotus to hand feed with just about a year of persistent effort, and my meridionalis will mouth and sometimes reluctantly take food if offered by hand, though he doesn't mind food on extra long hemostats.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Beautiful fish!
Have you ever tried hand feeding? I could get my asotus to hand feed with just about a year of persistent effort, and my meridionalis will mouth and sometimes reluctantly take food if offered by hand, though he doesn't mind food on extra long hemostats.
Thank you very much!
I have tried but he can be skittish when my hand is in his face. I would love to see pics of ur guys! I measured him yesterday a matter of fact, he measured 14” just about

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
1695221962977.png1695222013677.png1695225295915.png
Here's some pics of mine when he was ~7"; closer to ~10" now, but I haven't been able to get a good pic recently.
Three days after I took this picture, I believe he attempted to consume a very large Corydoras (that was too big to fit in his mouth, even when contorted sideways) and seemingly got spined in the lower jaw, where a white tumor grew. He was promptly evicted after I noticed the injury and now lives in a 40G breeder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store