Silver Arowana help

Saahil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
Hey guys I setup my 120 gal a month back and got a baby silver arowana. I am currently cycling another 180 gal where he will be eventually shifted. He doesn't look to good to me. He's been eating really well and has grown a bit. I've been feeding him hikari arowana sticks and some dried shrimps. He's currently house with a 5 inch pleco. He's sometimes totally still and sometimes he freaks out trying to break through the glass. I am attaching a pic. Even his fins don't look to good. Please help!!

image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys I setup my 120 gal a month back and got a baby silver arowana. I am currently cycling another 180 gal where he will be eventually shifted. He doesn't look to good to me. He's been eating really well and has grown a bit. I've been feeding him hikari arowana sticks and some dried shrimps. He's currently house with a 5 inch pleco. He's sometimes totally still and sometimes he freaks out trying to break through the glass. I am attaching a pic. Even his fins don't look to good. Please help!!

View attachment 1196622

Place some floating plants in the aquarium it will make Aro feel more secure, from the pic Aro looks good imo if its still eating thats a great thing.:) Try to approach aquarium slowly Aro's are known to be skittish give time for Aro to get use to you.

Saahil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
Place some floating plants in the aquarium it will make Aro feel more secure, from the pic Aro looks good imo if its still eating thats a great thing.:) Try to approach aquarium slowly Aro's are known to be skittish give time for Aro to get use to you.
Any plants in particular? Also I was thinking of some possible tank mates when I shift him to a 180. What do you recommend?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any plants in particular? Also I was thinking of some possible tank mates when I shift him to a 180. What do you recommend?

You could place a few plastic Jungle Val's in. Give a list of fish you would like to add, and I myself or other experienced members can let you know if the species will coexist with Aro.:)

Saahil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
Btw welcome to MFK :D
Haha thanks :D I ll surely try adding some plants. I was thinking of adding some oscars or maybe even silver dollars or blood parrots ( not too sure on parrots though) I was thinking I should add them now since he's a baby and still growing and they could co exist peacefully

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Haha thanks :D I ll surely try adding some plants. I was thinking of adding some oscars or maybe even silver dollars or blood parrots ( not too sure on parrots though) I was thinking I should add them now since he's a baby and still growing and they could co exist peacefully

Personally I would start of with small SD's , and none aggressive bottom dweller.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also type in Silver Arowana tank mates in the search bar upper left corner, you will find what other members were successful in choosing tankmates.

Oscarrowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
I recently purchased my first baby Silver Arowana. I had him in a grow out 75gal tank with plans on transferring him to my 150gal tank, once large enough not to fit in my Albino and Tiger Oscar's mouth whom currently reside in the 150gal. I did a lot of research on Arowana, this being my first one. I now completely understand why they call them river monkeys. I have an emperor 400 hob on the 75, which won't allow you to completely close the aquarium lid. Well needless to say, that was just enough space for my lil buddy to jump through, I came home and found his lifeless body behind the tank. I felt soo bad because I knew there was a gap there and would just drape my nets over it thinking that would contain him. Dumb mistake! I pick up my new baby Aro tmrw. Hard lesson learned!

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
I recently purchased my first baby Silver Arowana. I had him in a grow out 75gal tank with plans on transferring him to my 150gal tank, once large enough not to fit in my Albino and Tiger Oscar's mouth whom currently reside in the 150gal. I did a lot of research on Arowana, this being my first one. I now completely understand why they call them river monkeys. I have an emperor 400 hob on the 75, which won't allow you to completely close the aquarium lid. Well needless to say, that was just enough space for my lil buddy to jump through, I came home and found his lifeless body behind the tank. I felt soo bad because I knew there was a gap there and would just drape my nets over it thinking that would contain him. Dumb mistake! I pick up my new baby Aro tmrw. Hard lesson learned!
thats a tough lesson to learn, i had a similar issue with my jack dempseys in my new tank about a month ago he jumped out where my filter cutout was and i did not realize it for quite some time, thankfully after some rehabilitation he was alright, id love to see your new arowanna when you get him, beautiful fish they are

Reactions: Oscarrowana
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store