Silver Arowanas in a 10,000 liters

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
I'm more convinced about the "mechanical wound during growing" theory... cause the 1st arowana to get DE in my tank was also the one who splashed into a "hanging planter" when hunting big green grasshoppers above the surface (into the plants)... He jumped and felt directly in a big BANG into the hanging planter of Asplenium, on the far left of the tank... and a few days after, he began with DE on the side he was hit... Never been able to confirm this theory with the 2 others... but I heard enough of big-bang-splashes in the evening in summer, when insects find a way to get into the tank from the ouside of the house...

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
oh wow that is weird but ive never heard of drop eye after a bad hit, check if his eyes are milky or anything and maybe some stress coat too.

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
no such wounds... Except DE, the eyes of the 3 of them are just perfect and normally working... I'm just talking about an old incident (several time) and of a probable direct effect on the growth of the eyes...

the 3rd "known" theory is about a too rich/fat/efficient feeding, and on fat tumors on optic nerves, which could drive to DE. This last theory was written by a public aquarium in USA (I think), after they made an autopsy on a very old dead big Silver with DE. they found a lot of "unnormal" fat tumors on both optic nerves...

Reactions: Bigfishnut

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
looooooong time again from last thread feeding...

well...

Exit the Cichla (cause they were eating every single stingray newborn)
Exit the Myleus (cause they were eating every single egg or larvae in the pond)
Exit the male Stingray (cause he killed 3 females in 3 years)

And more volume for Panaque schaeferi, Silver Arowanas and 2 groups of Pterophyllum altum (25) and Geophagus winemilleri (15), plus a few others, like Uaru, Heros...

Take a deep breath and dive in...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store