Silver Datnoid Experiences - Share them pleez :-)

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
What are your past/current experiences with Silver Datnoids? Kindly share and discuss here. This specie is the least appreciated and misunderstood. To make it easier. Can you include the following below? Thank u. I’ll include my history in the comment believed

A. Salt added or 100% fresh
B. Size u got it and size now
C. How long did u have it Before u sold it or died
D. Current or old Photo If u have it
E. Aggressive or Passive

Silver Datnioides polota (formerly D. quadrifasciatus)

Known Locales: Southeastern Asia, India (Chilka Lake, Mahanadi and Hooghly rivers), Bangladesh (Ganges River delta), Myanmar (Yangon and Salween rivers), Thailand (Songkhla Lake, Tha Taphap and Chao Phraya rivers), Vietnam (Mekong River Delta), Malaysia (Perak, Bernam, and Melaka rivers, Peninsular Malaysia; Sarawak and Rajang rivers, Sarawak, Borneo), Singapore (Pulau Ubin), and Indonesia (Batang Hari River, Sumatra; Sambas, Kapuas and Barito rivers, Kalimantan, Borneo).

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
* 1.5 cups per 100 gallon. Just a preference I maintain with my bichirs, characins, and my other dat pecies

#1 grew a 3” to a 10”(died) several years ago.
#2 have one now that was 6” and now about 10.5”

* my first silver took about 18-24’ish months to go from 3 to 10”. Second silver from 6” to 10.5”. Have this one around 18 months +\-

*. I have to dig one up and take new one, lol.

E. Aggressive or Passive
* passive for both. Will swim away when I walk up. Current silver get chased on occasion by my larger indos and Ngt.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have never kept any of my silvers in brackish conditions but I also wound up trading or selling them after a period of time.Mine have all been the quickest of my dats to train onto pellets and they were very active most of the time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You know my story and it is all in here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7769824 but I'll play along a bit:

100% fresh, a couple of years at low TDS and hardness (1-3 drops) and a couple of years at higher TDS and hardness (4-8 drops)

5" (2016), 13" (2019)

3-4 years, died couple of months back

See the thread above (will be updated soon; in line)

E. Aggressive or Passive
Passive.

Jush Jush can share lots of experience with them, not long term but still.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I have many times kept these beauties, my best till date was when i got 10mm babies as a gift from one of native suppliers along with a few albino Rita Rita.
Below is my experience with them

Full fresh, never added any salt.

Kept them for nearly 5 years, from 10mm in 2009 to 7-8" in 2014

Nearly 5 years, died when my niece emptied nearly a pound of dry shrimp in the tank

No pics now

E. Aggressive or Passive
Passive species

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
You know my story and it is all in here: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7769824 but I'll play along a bit:

100% fresh, a couple of years at low TDS and hardness (1-3 drops) and a couple of years at higher TDS and hardness (4-8 drops)

5" (2016), 13" (2019)

3-4 years, died couple of months back

See the thread above (will be updated soon; in line)

E. Aggressive or Passive
Passive.

Jush Jush can share lots of experience with them, not long term but still.
Me & Sam (thread creator) speak all the time on Facebook about Datnoides, Polypterus & many other species, Sam is one of the most knowledgeable people on this topic that I know, with a lot of experience. He helped me gain the knowledge I have today along with my own research. I have to thank Sam for a lot ?

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
100% fresh since owned.

#1 Bought about 10", now 13"
#2 Bought about 10", now 12"
#3 Bought about 7", now about 10"
#4 Bought about 2", now about 5"

I have kept my larger ones for about 4-6months, and my smaller one for about 3-4months.

I'm on PC, have no photos.

E. Aggressive or Passive
Passive with the Indo datnoid in the tank, however, can be boisterous with each other, & the Indo sometimes joins in.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
100% fresh since owned.

#1 Bought about 10", now 13"
#2 Bought about 10", now 12"
#3 Bought about 7", now about 10"
#4 Bought about 2", now about 5"

I have kept my larger ones for about 4-6months, and my smaller one for about 3-4months.

I'm on PC, have no photos.

E. Aggressive or Passive
Passive with the Indo datnoid in the tank, however, can be boisterous with each other, & the Indo sometimes joins in.

Jush Jush . Had no idea you were on mfk. Lmao. ... appreciate the kind words. You’ve got one of the largest silvers in the UK. Keep it up! Hope they grow for u some more. I mean.... If u decide to keep em. Hehe Which you should cuz it’s a rare feat to have them surpass 12”.

Reactions: Jush

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Jush Jush . Had no idea you were on mfk. Lmao. ... appreciate the kind words. You’ve got one of the largest silvers in the UK. Keep it up and hope they grow some more. If u decide to keep em. Hehe
I think they're staying unless someone comes to me with too much money to comprehend, they're still on the list of my fish I'm selling, but not in any rush & very unsure about it, been on MFK a while just don't really talk here much ? unlike how much I talk on Facebook ? I'd love to say they actually are the biggest, especially the 13", I'm waiting for someone to disprove me... lol £30 for a possible record Datnoid, wowcha

Reactions: Vancouver_98683
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store