Silver datnoid

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Have you kept one? Obviously I haven’t but been doing research in the past 24hrs, I saw previously owners say they couldn’t get them over a year old in pure freshwater. Then had better luck again doing it in brackish overtime.
I do have one. I have kept AT for years.

I have seen them at the market being sold as food. I have been to the waterways where they are caught in the west of Thailand.

Mae Klong River

They are not found near the mouth.

Leonardo_CH

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2022
Switzerland
I do have one. I have kept AT for years.

I have seen them at the market being sold as food. I have been to the waterways where they are caught in the west of Thailand.

Mae Klong River

They are not found near the mouth.
The fact that they ihabit freshwater in one river in thailand (which is also very alkaline) doesnt mean that they never live in brackish, silver datnoids in the aquarium usually come from the easter coast of india where they are caught in brackish water.
The speciments found in vietnam are also found in brackish water (formerly known as Datnioides quadrifasciatus).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....was the NTT's named changed,what is it now?

Reactions: Midwater

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
The fact that they ihabit freshwater in one river in thailand (which is also very alkaline)
Alkaline? Nope.

silver datnoids in the aquarium usually come from the easter coast of india where they are caught in brackish water.
So we are told. I have only heard of AT coming from Mae Klong and surrounding areas in Thailand. They may come from further west too, where there are many waterways that are equally freshwater.

The speciments found in vietnam are also found in brackish water (formerly known as Datnioides quadrifasciatus).
No. NTT come from the Mekong and surrounding area between Thailand and Loas. They can also be found into Cambodia. But they are not found any where near the Mekong delta in Vietnam.

NTT - Quadrifasciatus and AT - Polota are not the same, apart from both being Datnoids. Not formerly known.

AT from the west of Thailand, ST (when it existed) from the central regions, and NTT from the east. All waterways that I know and often travel on. All freshwater.

Though I do not live there, I have also traveled extensively in Indonesia, especially Sumatra, and am well aware of the waterways there where IT and RTG are found. Freshwater. Sumatra does have a large peninsular - Riau - which is salt graduating through various degrees of brackish. But that is not where IT come from.

I have not been to New Guinea, so I cannot say definitively about NGT. However, I highly doubt they are brackish.

Leonardo_CH

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2022
Switzerland
Alkaline? Nope.
The UN claims that the pH of the Mae Klong is 8, unless that changed from the 90s onwards that should be a valid source.

So we are told. I have only heard of AT coming from Mae Klong and surrounding areas in Thailand. They may come from further west too, where there are many waterways that are equally freshwater.
AquariumGlaser (one of the largest fish wholesalers in the EU) claims they only import silver dats from india, I dont think they would lie but I'm not sure how about the US and asian market.

NTT - Quadrifasciatus and AT - Polota are not the same, apart from both being Datnoids. Not formerly known.
Since around 2019 Quadrifasciatusis is no longer considered an independent species but rather part of Datnioides polota after genetic testing was conducted.
If you believe the taxonomists are wrong fair play but that is the current consensus. AquariumGlaser used to get them from Vietnam.

I honestly dont understand why you are so adamant about the idea of certain dats inhabiting brackish water in parts of their range, why would so many people make that up? Why would multiple wholesalers and biologists spread wrong info, especially when that hurts the sales of silver datnoids.
I'm sure you have a ton of on site experience but that doesnt mean that everything that you havent observed yourself must be wrong.

Leonardo_CH

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2022
Switzerland
At this point I'm just going to contact the man behind the initial Fishbase citation and ask him directly to get a definitive answer.
He also lives here in Switzerland and from what I know he might be the most knowledgeable person in this field (he is for example the person that discovered Datnioides undecimradiatus)

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I honestly dont understand why you are so adamant ...
Well that works both ways doesn't it?

The UN claims that the pH of the Mae Klong is 8, unless that changed from the 90s onwards that should be a valid source.
And the UN don't get anything wrong then!

AquariumGlaser claims they only import silver dats from india,
May well be. The range of AT might go well west of Thailand. All through Burma, Bangladesh and India, there is a lot of freshwater.

If you believe the taxonomists are wrong fair play but that is the current consensus.
I am absolutely sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store