size potential for golieth tiger fish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Just want to clarify for him since he says it needs tankmates but then it'll kill anything. When younger tankmates aren't necessary but beneficial, as any fish does when small, they shoal for security and dithers help ween atf off of live. As they get larger they grow out of this behavior and become territorial wanting their own space which is when they begin to attack other fish. Aggression is rarely reported in gatf though. I believe it's because so few make it to a larger size where they would really be territorial.

Tim the fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Singapore, River Safari
I want to visit there. These fish really fasinate me. I would love to get a few but I know I won't be able to provide the right environment for them. If it wasn't for the information on this web site I might have purchased one. It's wonderful how eveyone shares their knowledge.

Reactions: celebrist

wrestler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
delaware
thanks for all the great info. tanks in corner of fish room in basement so not very much traffic. still on the fence about getting one.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
I have a 18"+ one in a 600 gal with other big fish. I feed them mostly at nite time seems to keep the skittishnes down. If i do feed during the day its SW that my aro and the gatf eat as well as the ts silver dollars. I have a 1500 gal fiberglass cylinder tank that will be its and it's tankmates new home in 2 wks. I chose that shape specifically for the atf so it cant bash itself at all and had a continuous swimming space instead of sharp corners. 4 ft deep and a 4x2 viewing window. Im doing this to hopefully achieve that gatf to grow 3ft+ in that tank. Massive sumps and 2ater movement , a **** load of o2 and plenty of swimming room hopefully will do the trick!

Reactions: moe214 and J. H.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have a 18"+ one in a 600 gal with other big fish. I feed them mostly at nite time seems to keep the skittishnes down. If i do feed during the day its SW that my aro and the gatf eat as well as the ts silver dollars. I have a 1500 gal fiberglass cylinder tank that will be its and it's tankmates new home in 2 wks. I chose that shape specifically for the atf so it cant bash itself at all and had a continuous swimming space instead of sharp corners. 4 ft deep and a 4x2 viewing window. Im doing this to hopefully achieve that gatf to grow 3ft+ in that tank. Massive sumps and 2ater movement , a **** load of o2 and plenty of swimming room hopefully will do the trick!
Good luck with it. Couple guys in asia have grown gatf from small to 3ft. One guy has 1 in a 3-4,000g tank. Another has 3-4 gatf in what looks like a swimming pool. They vids on Facebook but I haven’t figured out to get the vids onto here.

Reactions: moe214

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Good luck with it. Couple guys in asia have grown gatf from small to 3ft. One guy has 1 in a 3-4,000g tank. Another has 3-4 gatf in what looks like a swimming pool. They vids on Facebook but I haven’t figured out to get the vids onto here.
Yeah bud im familiar with all those guys. They are in Singapore and Thailand i believe. Absolutely i hope all goea well and i can get it as big as possible. That's my M.O. !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store