size question about a snowflake Moray

GaryG.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2016
Middletown NY
Hello I am building a 3d background I'm wondering I did do a search but, How big does one get around? I plan on making a tunnel in the tank but If I know the max girth .I can just make a better choice.

Thanks Gary

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I thought even the freshwater moray would eventually prefer brackish and marine water as they got bigger? Am I wrong?
The commonly sold "Freshwater Eel" is a G.Tile, which requires brackish water but is extremely common in stores and sold quite cheap...

On the other hand, the true freshwater moray is G.Polyurandon which can liveout its life in freshwater, and tends to cost around 10x the price of a similar sized G.Tile in my neck of the woods..

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
all are at least brackish
one can live for about 6 months in fresh before there's problems. In the wild they're actually caught in freshwater locations but they don't live in those spots for extended periods. An inch an a half girth would be a HUGE snowflake

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ my 4 G.Polyurandon have been now in fresh for over 6months growing happily and eating...

There are also many other keepers here who own G.polyurandaon in full fresh for over a year and are still growing and eating...

So while most eels require min brackish water conditions, there is at least this one species that can live in full fresh ;)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
^ my 4 G.Polyurandon have been now in fresh for over 6months growing happily and eating...

There are also many other keepers here who own G.polyurandaon in full fresh for over a year and are still growing and eating...

So while most eels require min brackish water conditions, there is at least this one species that can live in full fresh ;)
Ironically here is my G. tile been in FW since I got him 10 months ago and long before that at the LFS, and has tripled his size since I got him. PURE FW.......until later this month :D
all are at least brackish
one can live for about 6 months in fresh before there's problems. In the wild they're actually caught in freshwater locations but they don't live in those spots for extended periods. An inch an a half girth would be a HUGE snowflake
STY_1579.JPG STV_1576.JPG STU_1575.JPG STT_1574.JPG STD_1554.JPG STB_1556.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Homer

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
They do look great. I'm glad It's working out. If you start having problems you can't account for with them add some salt gradually with your water changes. I've never heard of them doing well long term in freshwater. I've heard 6 months to a year before they start becoming more susceptible to issues they get sluggish and stop eating. At this point I think people end up shocking them with too much salt and killing them. Same thing when you bring them home chances are they were straight fw at the store. In the wild they swim from one level of salinity to the other and it's a gradual thing.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store