Sizing bean animal

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Hoping to get some quick advice about sizing the bean animal overflow.
Hoping to have at least 4500 gph of flow in a 720 gallon tank . Vertical drop height from drain to sump will be approximately 4-5 feet. Would 2" drains be enough to handle this mount of flow? Or would I need to go up to 3"?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I like to refer to this chart. It’s not perfect because there can be a lot of variables but it can give you a general guide.
7F40E63E-CCF8-461E-ABA9-B99D5EEFC52F.jpeg

Reactions: phreeflow

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That’s a great chart. Whatever you choose...I’d go with a bigger size on the emergency overflow

Last edited:

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
I like to refer to this chart. It’s not perfect because there can be a lot of variables but it can give you a general guide.
View attachment 1397577
Thanks for this. I've seen this chart but having difficulties factoring in flow velocity. I could go with 3" to be safe but it seems that larger pvc products are much more difficult to source here in Ontario. It's also mlm much bulkier haha. If I could get away with 2" it would be much preferred

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
Hoping to get some quick advice about sizing the bean animal overflow.
Hoping to have at least 4500 gph of flow in a 720 gallon tank . Vertical drop height from drain to sump will be approximately 4-5 feet. Would 2" drains be enough to handle this mount of flow? Or would I need to go up to 3"?
I think 2" would be more than enough. I have a 1 1/2" Bean with 2' of drop. I'm running a 4200 gph pump with 6' of head and I have my gate valve open about 3/4. In also running a lot water through my secondary which goes to a fuge under the tank and drains into the sump. If I open the gate valve all the way I cant cut off the water going into my secondary and it willall go through my primary syphon. I never get water flowing through my emergency (which is a good thing).

Reactions: Zanzag

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
You can run a second full syphon drain to take the extra flow. That’s how I set up my BA. Two Full syphons take most of the flow and a trickle goes down the durso. E drain never sees a drop.

Reactions: Zanzag

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
You can run a second full syphon drain to take the extra flow. That’s how I set up my BA. Two Full syphons take most of the flow and a trickle goes down the durso. E drain never sees a drop.
Never thought of it. I've read you can't use a dual BA with double corner overflow boxes but I assume your setup is different because both siphons are in the same overflow box ?

Reactions: TheWolfman

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The only problem with running two beans is if the water is adjusted for a full siphon in one it may not leave enough for the second full siphon and you get noise coming from the second.
You would need to play with the gates on them to match the full siphons in both.

Reactions: DN328 and vincel892

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
The only problem with running two beans is if the water is adjusted for a full siphon in one it may not leave enough for the second full siphon and you get noise coming from the second.
You would need to play with the gates on them to match the full siphons in both.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably have 2 siphons plumbed in and try using 1 with the other completely shut off. If it's not enough flow then I'll add the second .

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
One overflow box no issues tuning the gate valves or noise coming from the overflow. I just needed more flow out of the overflow and couldn’t up size the bulkheads.

Reactions: vincel892
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store