Skeleton decoration- inappropriate or not?

Skeleton in tank?

• Yes! It looks cool and the person is dead anyways

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • No way! That wouldn't be right.

Votes: 46 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Here's a fun thread for you.. a buddy of mine emails me saying he can get a class room skeleton for next to nothing and the first thing he thought is how cool it would look in my aquarium.

Now I agreed that it would look cool, especially once it browned a little and lost that bleached look, but I told him I didn't think it was right. I doubt having their skeleton serve as a decoration was not what someone intended when they left their body to science. This concept is lost on my friend. He compares a human skeleton to a piece of driftwood, remains are remains.

What do you think? I told him he's way off and bet most people would think its creepy so I placed a wager with him.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
fail

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Haha it depends what the tank setup is like. If it is a piranah tank or something it will look awesome. I understand your point with the Skeleton but if they were willing to give their skeleton to science then i suppose if your not doing weird indecent things with it it should be ok im sure they wouldnt mind. Maybe they were a keep aquarist and would like nothing more than to be submerged in your tank :)
I take a neutral stance in this.

weezel73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2009
kentucky
personally I think it would just be too cool! Are you sure its a real skeleton, and not some poly resin? I know I see the resin fakes alot, and the look and feel real. Either way it would be cool!

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
weezel73;2947973; said:
personally I think it would just be too cool! Are you sure its a real skeleton, and not some poly resin? I know I see the resin fakes alot, and the look and feel real. Either way it would be cool!

I'm not sure, I haven't seen it. I thought they're usually real though They're real when the skull has been cut open, right? I would worry about the metal holding it together too. It might not be stainless steel.

But thanks for the heads up, I didn't even consider that possiblity. Now I'm going to ask to see it. If it is poly, I'll try to get it whether or not it winds up in a tank.

With a real one, I'm not sure if I would ever get rid of the thought and feeling that Hey!, someones final earthly remains is sitting here in my living room.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
Tom500;2947969; said:
Haha it depends what the tank setup is like. If it is a piranah tank or something it will look awesome. I understand your point with the Skeleton but if they were willing to give their skeleton to science then i suppose if your not doing weird indecent things with it it should be ok im sure they wouldnt mind. Maybe they were a keep aquarist and would like nothing more than to be submerged in your tank :)
I take a neutral stance in this.
There we go! Because donating your body to help research/education and sitting in some guy's fish tank is exactly the same thing!

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
I think that will disrespect those who passed away.

Psychomatrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
Trinidad and Tobago
I believe most Class room skeletons now are made of resin simply because they are cheap and easy to get. i have not seen a real skeleton in quite a while at least in any high school class room. i saw a couple in university but thats about it.

plus i think it would look really cool ecspecially with some Piranah or Payara

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Not my bag, but my nephew would want to do it. Of course, he also wants a bed that looks and functions like a real coffin. he can be quite creepy. LOL

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are lakes in some parts of Africa that have hundreds of human skulls on their bottoms.I tried to recreate this a while ago with fake aquarium skulls but this is something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store