MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello everyone,

I've had a small oscar in my South-American aquarium for almost a month now. While the other fish seem to have nipped his fins a few times during this time (mostly when he's following them around while they're eating... not his best idea) these tears always seem to heal fully within 1-2 days. However, he's had this small (<1mm high, 2mm wide) hole at the base of his anal fin for nearly the entire month now which doesn't seem to heal over time at all.

Water quality seems to not be the problem, every other instance of fin damage has healed perfectly and he's constantly showing healthy and (very) active behavior. Other fish only bother him very rarely and show no signs of fin damage or anything else.

Does anyone know the reason why this particular hole may not be healing and whether there is something I can do to help with the healing process?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It will not go away. The way that the fin healed prevents it from going away. Basically, as the tear was healing, the area around the hole did not connect back up to each other.

A picture will help

Reactions: tlindsey

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Catch fish in net, use a toothpick or wire to tear the hole right to fins edge so it can re-grow.

Or just leave the hole there for the rest of fishes life. No harm with having a hole in fins.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Well, if you have the nerves to do so, you could try the toothpick/sewing needle approach... and you would have to start at the base of the fins (in between the rays) all the way through to the end of the fins. If there's no fin at the base, I'm not sure it would even grow back after splitting the fin in between the rays (bony part of the fin)

CountSummon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
I guess I'll try that then. I'll put my oscar under anesthesia and do as proposed. Thanks for the advice!

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Any update?

There isn't anything wrong with having a permanent hole in a fin.

CountSummon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
Any update?

There isn't anything wrong with having a permanent hole in a fin.
Hi, haven't checked the forum in a while so very late update but I decided to post in case you (or anyone else) are still interested!

The procedure went well and the tear healed after a couple of days after which the hole disappeared as well. However, a while later a new tiny hole appeared, this time in the dorsal fin. Water parameters were still perfectly fine and none of the other fish have had this issue. I decided not to intervene with it anymore, at least for a while.

Other than that, he's been a very happy little fish, growing like crazy and devouring every bit of food he sees in front of his nose!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, haven't checked the forum in a while so very late update but I decided to post in case you (or anyone else) are still interested!

The procedure went well and the tear healed after a couple of days after which the hole disappeared as well. However, a while later a new tiny hole appeared, this time in the dorsal fin. Water parameters were still perfectly fine and none of the other fish have had this issue. I decided not to intervene with it anymore, at least for a while.

Other than that, he's been a very happy little fish, growing like crazy and devouring every bit of food he sees in front of his nose!
Great update.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store