Smallest polypterus, calabaricus question and carpet plants

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Hello,

First of all, I would like to ask which polypterus is smallest (not taking into account calabaricus and short body version of polypterus), because there are many contradicting opinions around the internet, while the top 3 goes to: albino polypterus senegalus, polypterus mokelembembe, polypterus palmas palmas. If possible, somebody who keeps any of these species could point their length.

Around the internet, i could see only small (young) albino polypterus senegalus - are they short lived, because of the genes or simply not a lot of people keep them?

Also, what about carpet plants like monte carlo, hc? will they be destroyed by the above chosen smallest polypterus or is it safe and won't uproot plants?

Also what about calabaricus? since it's overall size (not length) isn't big - would i be right to say that carpet plants are at least safe with him?

Finally, since calabaricus are "escape artists" - glass aquarium hood with small holes might cause a problem or it is safe? or if a hole is as small as calabaricus diameter - he will sooner or later get out to see the outside world? The same question stands for other polypterus'.

Thanks for the answers :)

Reactions: tlindsey

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Senegal bichirs will grow to around 12'' despite what other forums may say. I would not keep carpeting plants with one. But if you do, I would try something with longer roots like Staurogyne repens or clover. Hair grass may work too.

Ive never kept a rope fish, but would imagine shorter rooted cover plants maybe uprooted.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Senegalus will be the smallest to keep. Polypterus like to burry in the sand and I imagine carpet like plants and become uprooted.

Yes. Polypterus and ropes can escape and any and all holes need to be covered.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Senegal will be the smallest, having a cb will likely hit 7”-10”, but will take a long time.
Most carpet plant will need soil and you’ll need to burry the plant deep enough not to be up rooted.

I have tried this experiment with my 10g planted tank, i had a UG carpet grass that was is spreading so i have some spots that you can see the soil, i put two senegal in that tank for 3 days and it looked nice, but the problem i saw was kinda disturbing me, they didnt up root the UG but the did kick the soil alot of times and make the water muddy cloudy. Polys like to sit in the bottom of the tank when they get spooked the make a quick dash and kicks the substrate up.

If your planning to do this method i suggest have a thick carpet of plant first.

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
I see...
Probably the only polypterus possible is calabaricus then, moreover i'm thinking about a more predator community tank :)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Polys and ropes mainly feed off the bottom so carpet plants need to be well rooted. They nose around alot so uprooting can happen. Ive seen some carpeting plants being grown on a mat of some sort that may help. Sens will be the smallest you'll be lucky if a sen gets up to 10" most are captive bred and stay smaller. Youd also be very lucky to get a wc sen, that may achieve a larger size. Ive not had my albino or reg sen ever bury themselves. They have also been with me around 3 years they were the first polys in this group I got. They are both still around 6". I have two smaller polys but 1 is just over a year and the other about 8 months but they are catching the sens.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
cb albino sens are the smallest with cb sens being the 2nd smallest. All bichirs and ropes are escape artists so need tight fitting lids and decorations that are either to small to get their head in or big enough for the body to fit easily I lost a fat albino sen who got her head and one fin through a hole but her body wouldn't fit and she couldn't back out and drowned it really really sucked

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Thanks for the answers, can somebody elaborate more on carpet plants? I'm currently doing dry start for montecarlo carpet, so it will have roots and thinking of getting albino sen as small as possible so it will have enough time to grow roots, however i'm quite interested in whether those roots will be enough to keep the plant or the dinosour will uproot them for sure :))

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store