Smashed pleco

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I just saw the post that she is acting normally. The Prime or Safe (same thing) not to be confused with Safe Start. Prime or Safe will neutralize any lingering toxins in water. Use a little extra. She is a beauty. All the best!
Have to use it every 24 hours-- Prime. Maybe for a week unless your water parameters are normal. Of you can do it too whenever you do your water changes. Perhaps do partial water changes a little more often. But sounds like you are on top of it! What a Dad!
I put her in my 46bowfront, she is the biggest fish in there now. So can rest and recover in peace. Added salt at 1t per 10View attachment 1345977 gal. The tank got a 100% water change yesterday (got moved to a different wall in the same room) and added some Melafix. Hope she pulls thru ok.
I put her in my 46bowfront, she is the biggest fish in there now. So can rest and recover in peace. Added salt at 1t per 10View attachment 1345977 gal. The tank got a 100% water change yesterday (got moved to a different wall in the same room) and added some Melafix. Hope she pulls thru ok.

Reactions: Matteus and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Every three days my tanks get a 75% water change, so not worried about water conditions. I was a dumb arse for not putting the rocks on the bottom glass. Lesson learned......
Just hope she pulls thru, hate to lose her had her for a bit now.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Every three days my tanks get a 75% water change, so not worried about water conditions. I was a dumb arse for not putting the rocks on the bottom glass. Lesson learned......
Just hope she pulls thru, hate to lose her had her for a bit now.
Don't be tough on yourself for trying to improve their habitat. (chuckle--my phone spelled Habititat--where did thhat come from?--sorry ladies if any read this)
But anyway your rock accident is making me revisit some of the rock placements and cave strucures in my tanks. I also have some excavating fish. Cories, cichlids, Senegals. I think your accident will make some present and future fish Keepers rethink or think about fish safety in their aquarium landscaping.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Ouch! Good luck with her. I hope its just some scrapes and nothing too serious. :)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Other then what you are already doing I’d just add bio bandage. It’s what I put on any open wounds on my fish.
You are so good with your fish so she has the best chance at recovery. Accidents happen to everyone. Glad you found her!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Well I did the research on garlic and aloe Vera for aquarium fish. Apparently there is validity in both herbal ingredients used for medicinal purposes. Garlic is slightly more controversial but I will go into Aloe Vera first.
Aloe is a key ingredient in API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) Stress Coat for fish and Start Right by Jungle aquarium products. It is good for fish's intestinal in general including intestinal problems and increases fish appetite. It has beneficial amino acids, vitamins and is good for healing external skin injuries and augments the fishe's natural slime coating, which helps protect the fish from injury and bacterial attack.
I wouldn't try commercial concoctions meant for humans as they may have fragrances, alcohol and who knows what. Some pure aloe Vera is available on line and probably at herbal shops but I would check the ingredients and obtain a bottle of Stress Coat or Start Right and see what percentage of Aloe Vera is in the bottle for how much natural aloe to use in your tank if you decide to do that for economy purposes for large amounts of water in water changes for large tanks. I will go into garlic for aquarium fish, tonight or tomorrow, but one lab research er found predominant use of garlic for specific fish diseases in certain species.

I did get another Electric Yellow Lab cichlid. Cute little thing. I stress little. It's about 3" long 1½" tall, where as my established Yellow Lab is almost 5" long by 3" tall. May not sound like much, but there is a substantial size difference and I am a little afraid to put them together, even though Labidochromis caeruleus is fairly non aggressive, including toward their own kind.

I wonder if you or anyone has had experience with mixing a large and small specimen of this particular species, Electric Yellow Lab, aka Labidochromis caeruleus? I will be setting up a tank and transferring fish more the new fish's size, from an older acrylic hexagon tank that I am going to be polishing scratches out of with a Novus polish kit. I will be using gravel medium, filter and water from the established scratched tank for the new tank.

For now I have the new fish in a breeder-like tank in the larger Yellow Lab's aquarium. The two fish are intriqued by each other, through the barrier, but the smaller fish is a little intimidated by the larger fish at times. I have rocks and plant cover in it's enclosure for it to feel secure. I may let them mix it up for a while under my care. I will probably put it in the new tank with fish it's own size, some cories, and killifish, until it grows some. I may put the Yellow Labs together for observed visits occasionally. I may even order one closer to size if I can from my friend at a different fish store. I like this attractive and amiable species well enough to have a few among my tanks.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
F Fishflyer I have a male yellow lab that’s 3” maybe a tad bigger and two 1” (I think females) they get along great. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen the bigger one interact with the smaller two at all.
In my case though I have a dominant johannii that keeps he male lab very passive. So maybe that is why?
I’m new to Africans so I’m learning as I go:) but that’s been my experience so far.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
F Fishflyer I have a male yellow lab that’s 3” maybe a tad bigger and two 1” (I think females) they get along great. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen the bigger one interact with the smaller two at all.
In my case though I have a dominant johannii that keeps he male lab very passive. So maybe that is why?
I’m new to Africans so I’m learning as I go:) but that’s been my experience so far.
Thank you Mrs. E88, I very much appreciate the input. I have a dominant male cichlid in another tank, Pseudotropheus that keeps the other fish in check. I had to move my male Yellow Lab to his own tank due to the other fish's aggression towards the Lab. I have to leave in a little while for some med tests but when I return ( not sure when ) I will unite them and post on this thread how they are getting on. (along with my findings on garlic as for use with fish. Thank you again. Makes me a little comfortable with the idea of placing them together.

Reactions: MrsE88

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Garlic is already used in the ornamental fish industry. It's used in food/medicated food to induce feeding. The garlic for some reason makes fish hungry and eat.

Reactions: Matteus and MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store