Snail Infestations and Solutions to Eliminating Them

MLM90405

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2010
Santa Monica CA
I initially bought my first Clown Loach to rid one of my tanks of trumpet snails. She did a lousy job of it! But she proved to be one of the most entertaining fish ever! Now she has another clown friend in the tank with her, and I am considering dedicating an entire tank to Clown Loaches! In the meantime, I bought some assassin snails and added them to my Betta's tank and my Angelfish's tank. They have kept the snail population in control in my Betta's tank, and even started to breed there! I found a small Assassin snail when I was cleaning the tank a few weeks ago and was overjoyed to see it! But My Mollie tank has two large snails (Inca and Tiger snails) along with an over abundance of trumpet snails! I can't risk adding assassin snails to their tank for fear they will make a meal out of my big snails. So I gather up the trumpets and crush them when I see them climbing the tank walls at night and everyone gets a snack!! Even my Betta and African Dwarf frogs love the gourmet snacks. But it does get tough when I encounter some snails with shells of steel!! Out comes the garlic press and voila! Snail ragu!

andytkopp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Pierre
could you offer a snail refuge in a tank to help ensure a small but constant suply of snails for loaches if used?

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Awesome info. Thanks for the baiting tip. I'm using it as I type in my redfinned pickerel tank. :)

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Great article. Might I add a suggestion, go remove the gravel and go barebottom. I've actually tried breeding mts and pond snails but they haven't done it at all in barebottom fish tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store