Snakehead Fishing in New Jersey

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
so is there any specific point this is trying to make? I didnt exactly read anything new about ecology
Me too, I read whole thing but there's no negative impacts they mentioned. Also I am not concerned about their ability of walking on the land since United States are not quite tropical rainforests with wet grounds as there is a reason why the fishes of North Amercia don't evolved into walking fish.

Walking catfish and bulleye snakeheads were unable to spread out in Florida despite of their "walking" ability.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Neither carp or snakehead are going to destroy amn ecosystem in an area as big as the United States!
I don't doubt that snakehead won't destory the ecosystems of United States, but with Asian carps.....they are no joke and ruined lot of rivers/lakes and our businesses as well. It's shameful that one of the founder silver carps has a mutant gene that causes jumping and now all of her descendants carried this jumping ability.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
I don't mean to derail this thread, but there are much bigger problems that we have other than 4 feet snakeheads eating their way through the US, devasting native fish, and walking to other bodies of water. For one, I don't know if any of you have heard, there is something called the chupacabra. This creature has been killing all sorts of livestock. Then there are also aliens visiting people giving anal probes. Unlucky victims suffer by not being able to sit properly in a chair for a couple of days. How many countless sick days have victims taken because of this devastation? Let's rid the US of chupacabras and aliens first before we consider getting rid of snakeheads.

• Haha
Reactions: beau1990

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
Im sure they have a bad reputation mainly because they are quite a scary looking fish. We have alot of native Burbot (lota-lota) and people treat them like garbage, i've seen people throw them on the ice to die because they think they are killing all the other gamefish like walleye and northern pike and making fishing worse. I think people should just be happy that snakeheads do have predators in lakes like LMB Northern pike to keep the population in check. The serious and really serious problems happen when a fish is introduced that has no predator like the silver carp.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Im sure they have a bad reputation mainly because they are quite a scary looking fish. We have alot of native Burbot (lota-lota) and people treat them like garbage, i've seen people throw them on the ice to die because they think they are killing all the other gamefish like walleye and northern pike and making fishing worse. I think people should just be happy that snakeheads do have predators in lakes like LMB Northern pike to keep the population in check. The serious and really serious problems happen when a fish is introduced that has no predator like the silver carp.
What kind of predators in New Jersey are going to be eating 5+ pound snakeheads that are over 2 feet long?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
What kind of predators in New Jersey are going to be eating 5+ pound snakeheads that are over 2 feet long?
Blue catfish, strippers, muskellunge and flathead catfish are fully capable to eat an adult snakeheads. Plus there are plenty of predators that would love to snack on baby snakeheads.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store