Snakehead Fishing in New Jersey

Tequila

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
USA
YESSS put some alligator gar in there to take out some snake heads. That's what some states are doing in the mississippi river to get rid of the Asian carp. Alligator gar are safer than snakeheads
After being on a body of water where people claim that there are just tons of snakeheads in every inch of water a few weekends ago. I'm convinced that we should release more Snakeheads like the Greater Northern snakehead to help in killing off these monsters. There just every where I couldn't keep them off my hooks some much that I never saw one live one anywhere though I did see what mite have been have the dried body of a snakehead on the tracks. But that was it. So I'm all for introducing more snakesheads to help kill off the snakeheads we haven't now? LOL. Or maybe they should introduce Bull Sharks now theres a eating machine that will wipe out everything in these bodies of water, including the swimmers.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
I know this is an old thread. I'm originally from California. I've lived in Taiwan for the last 8 years. During these past eight years, I've kept and bred a few species of snakeheads. Recently, I've started fishing for striatas. I'll tell you, I would rather fish for snakeheads over bass any day. There's nothing more exciting than a snakehead ripping your top water frog from the surface. Also, in the magazine article, you will see my name there, George. That's me. Those are my fish. My buddy took the photos and wrote the article. Snakeheads are awesome. They are not the monsters that uneducated people (fish and wildlife included) make them out to be. There is so much wrong info about them, including misidentified species, and max sizes, etc. there is not one snakehead expert working for Uncle Sam. They know very little about what they tell the public. I've not read one single article with truly accurate info on them from your so called "experts." As for me, I learn something new about these fish everyday, even after keeping, breeding, and catching them. I can tell you one thing for sure. These fish are awesome. To the guys that have no experience with them, you're missing out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Toohard

Bindi56

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2019
It's like talking to a brick wall. Obviously the person not fishing the area would know more about it. Smh

As far as fishing for the snakeheads look for areas with out current. Vegetation is good. Run stuff like buzz bait, spinner baits, chatter baits, rattle traps. If you want smaller ones use smaller lures. Make sure you use braided lines or the fishing trip may be expensive. If you try Fishing with a bobber and worms you won't catch any. They actually are fished a lot like bass. but if your in north jersey you can try rancocas creek, cooper river and big timber creek. Kinda hit em on the way down. But Woodbury seems to be a very populated area.
I would like to catch some snakehead. I didn't get a NJ fishing license this year, so I can only fish where the Salem canal turns saline. Do you have any idea where that is?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store