Snakehead Fishing in New Jersey

platothetoad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2012
MD
there are a ton in the potomac and its tribs in MD. They have pretty slicking looking skulls when cleaned with dermestid beetles.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I don't see what the fuzz is about.. sure, they are pretty good predators, maybe one of the best but as a keeper of snakehead I call complete BS on documented abductions (wth?) of children and walking on land and all other propaganda.. seriously.. it's a fish, an awesome one at that but still.. nothing more, nothing less.. mine (micro) has gotten it's butt handed to it by jardinis, big dats, a giant goramy.. sure, I wouldn't stick my hand to a 4-5 feet micro but then I wouldn't stick my hand to an aligator, unknown dog, parrot (those things can bite) but still I haven't heard stories of parrots eating children (which seems more plausible)..

just my 0.2 after not having bothered to read the entire thread.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5XuvNZsP9w (my old emperor, skip to 1.15 for the true fury of the emperor snakehead)..

herit1990

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
amk
Snakeheads are known to eat small pets and children. There have been documented cases of children snatched from their beds at night in some Asian countries. In the wild, they have a varied diet. When they are in the water, they will eat anything from fish to dolphins to crocodiles. On land, they will eat deer, boar, dogs, wolves, people, pets, and anything that is 2/3 of their total length. They also have the ability to walk on land for days out of water. In fact, they are almost like amphibians. Inside their powerful, bone crunching jaws are rows of razor sharp teeth. Combine this with the fact that they can grow to 5 feet long, you've got yourself a monster. They make alligators seem like guppies.

U explained it makes me so scared of them. Lol... But I don't think they are to that certain extend.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
So the question is without reading thru 24 pages, where in NJ is the best place to fish for them, and what kind of baits do they prefer?

The Auratus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2011
Sweden
They've tried to control the snakeheads for 10 years, but they've only grown in number. Why even try? They can't control them and why even think that they can get rid of them?

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
Maybe they should start trying to make a stocking prograhm of the alligator gar in some of theses waters. alot of these places were once home of the gator gar until people started killing them. thats the only us fish i can see eating snakeheads besides the flathead catfish, but flatheads will be worse than snakeheads for the environment...

AlligatorGAR69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Raleigh, NC
YESSS put some alligator gar in there to take out some snake heads. That's what some states are doing in the mississippi river to get rid of the Asian carp. Alligator gar are safer than snakeheads

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store