Snakehead Permit

Coolgabe1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2016
Alright guys, I have done some digging and found some information. First of all, I saw that the Lacey act had been changed and that transport within the 48 states under the same jurisdiction no longer requires a permit and is not illegal as of 2017. Secondly, I found a permit application that would allow you to legally acquire and keep a snakehead I believe. I have not filed a permit request yet but, know that for the permit to be approved there has to be a described reason that falls into one of 4 categories. Your purpose for snakehead ownership has to be either scientific, medical, zoological or educational. I plan on submitting the application under the Educational purpose because I plan on researching snakeheads impact as an invasive species. The application is called Federal Fish and Wildlife Permit Application form. If you google FSW 3-200-42 that is the form number and you can download the PDF fill it out and send it and a money order to the address on the form. Let me know if this works for anybody or if you guys have additional info on this topic.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Are you with any biological research organisations? I have heavy doubts that individuals can keep a fish like a snakehead anymore. I may as well get an Asian arowana to research the reactions I get.

If you're doing research then awesome :D
For the rest of us, I think it's out of reach..

Reactions: Davidiator

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I'm going to file for an Asian Reaction.
Reason? To study how many people will be jealous here on MFK ;-)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Alright guys, I have done some digging and found some information. First of all, I saw that the Lacey act had been changed and that transport within the 48 states under the same jurisdiction no longer requires a permit and is not illegal as of 2017. Secondly, I found a permit application that would allow you to legally acquire and keep a snakehead I believe. I have not filed a permit request yet but, know that for the permit to be approved there has to be a described reason that falls into one of 4 categories. Your purpose for snakehead ownership has to be either scientific, medical, zoological or educational. I plan on submitting the application under the Educational purpose because I plan on researching snakeheads impact as an invasive species. The application is called Federal Fish and Wildlife Permit Application form. If you google FSW 3-200-42 that is the form number and you can download the PDF fill it out and send it and a money order to the address on the form. Let me know if this works for anybody or if you guys have additional info on this topic.
Yeah its the same as getting assault weapons and tnt if you cut through enough red tape and have the proper credentials you can harvest and keep snakeheads. That and money. Probably costs some money.

Most colleges and wildlife conservationists have umbrella permits protecting their entire staff and students. When i was in school so many years ago we collected many snakeheads and either killed them or kept them for preservation later. The same license allowed us to use a shock wand to collect the fish which would be otherwise illegal. The kind of license youre talking about is completely separate from hunting/fishing/trapping licenses and you will have to prove some sort of affiliation with an academic or conservation organization to attain it i would think.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
To fall under any of the 4 categories, the statement of the purpose is not enough. That is words don't count. The applicant must overcome any reasonable doubt about their purpose for getting the fish. That is, it is the applicant's responsibility to prove they will do what they say they will do with the fish. And even then, the government can refuse and they don't need to explain themselves to the applicant.

Private individuals stand a zero chance, no matter what they say.

Moreover, your stated purpose falls under scientific, not educational. Educational means teaching the public about known facts. You want to research something that's not known yet. Research is a scientific activity seeking new knowledge and answers that are not known yet, furthermore, the answers may or may not exist, which is not known either.

You will have to be a professional scientist active in this field with a trail of scientific papers showing that this is what you do and that you do it successfully and of course an affiliation with some serious institution that's involved in research, where you'd have money / grant, labs, research plan, responsibility before your bosses, the board of directors, etc.

One's garage or basement and your avid fisherman uncle don't count.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Forgot to mention though that your OP is valuable to us as a community IMHO. You've done and found the right things. The Lacey act change I don't know of - I'd need to look into it myself to become surer but I appreciate your pointer.

Reactions: J. H. and Hendre

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
You could always say he/she is your therapy fish...and even get them one of those little vests.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store