Sneak Peek ~ New 250 gallon (festae pen)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
gonna leave it dry scaped Justin ?? I know you had mentioned something about having some live plants but didn't know if that is still in the works given the whole waterfall these ?? so close but yet too far
Live plants are for the top of the tank/natural filtration, it will be a crazy setup that's for sure. the inside of the tank will be all hardscape.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I gotta say man I'm not a huge fan of that color of sand. I don't think it goes that well with the rocks and background. Any way you can mix in something darker? I know you're going for a natural look...any sand would be close to the same color of the rocks (in a natural system).

Those rocks are sweet though. They look so real. I didn't look when I was there, do any have access into the centers for spawning sites? If so, I need to get some.

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
I hate to agree with Jamey but X2 on this..... maybe even doing something Like Jose did on his 400g mixing some black in there, something....

I'll know better when it clears and can actually get a better idea

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
It looks great Justin. Although with the tank being cloudy right now it does make it hard to get a clear idea of what it will look like with that sand. But since your putting festae in there I wouldn't add any darker substrate because your background is dark and will alreadt take away from their color. White sand would make the tank look to contrast. I honestly think you made a good choice and the tank will look much better once it settles:)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Damn Justin, thats looking awesome. That 3d background makes the tank for sure. Would love to have a setup like that one day.
Thank you Chris!

I gotta say man I'm not a huge fan of that color of sand. I don't think it goes that well with the rocks and background. Any way you can mix in something darker? I know you're going for a natural look...any sand would be close to the same color of the rocks (in a natural system).

Those rocks are sweet though. They look so real. I didn't look when I was there, do any have access into the centers for spawning sites? If so, I need to get some.
Thanks Jamie. The rocks are enclosed so they do not have access for spawning, they only have a couple holes drilled to allow water in so they sink. The material they are made out of makes it easier to punch a hole in than clay pots so they could be used for spawning easily.

I can't say I disagree with you on the sand in this pic and I really appreciate the honest feedback, I am on the fence. For what it's worth, the lighting is a 300watt shop light and the tank is cloudy. I am sure it will look darker with regular tank lighting on it. (hopefully anyway)

I hate to agree with Jamey but X2 on this..... maybe even doing something Like Jose did on his 400g mixing some black in there, something....

I'll know better when it clears and can actually get a better idea
We will know by tonight since I'll have updated pics up in the build thread, it should be clear by then. I hate mixing substrate I think (my opinion only, not talking about Jose's tank) but I think it looks unatural unless done right. I plan to mix in small pebbles with this sand later this weekend along with some smaller stones. Do you think if I use a dark brown and grey pebbles it will darken it "just right"? Like I said it's not scaped yet, just the "dirty" work finished so I can move my fish.

My dovii and midas tanks are a wreck right now too. All of the new neighbors keep coming over to see these tank like "wow" and I'm cringing because they look like crap.. In a couple weeks I'll be back on track.

Combination looks excellent to me. Dang your creative!
Thanks Sam!

It looks great Justin. Although with the tank being cloudy right now it does make it hard to get a clear idea of what it will look like with that sand. But since your putting festae in there I wouldn't add any darker substrate because your background is dark and will alreadt take away from their color. White sand would make the tank look to contrast. I honestly think you made a good choice and the tank will look much better once it settles:)
Thanks Jason and that is a really good point about the festae. The last thing I want is to wash out their colors with a nice tank. I honestly think once everything settles and I can add some smaller pebbles to the sand things will look much better. Only time will tell.

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
I think the the darker pebbles will be a great addition just be careful about what size we are talking about and the key is not to mix with the stand but simply sprinkle on top of the sand and let the current and fish do the blending otherwise unless you use a whole bunch of pebbles they will soon vanish into the sand

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I think the the darker pebbles will be a great addition just be careful about what size we are talking about and the key is not to mix with the stand but simply sprinkle on top of the sand and let the current and fish do the blending otherwise unless you use a whole bunch of pebbles they will soon vanish into the sand
I am thinking 1/4" to 1/2" in size and as you said just across the top. In past tanks I have done this with it was pointless since I kept goes and the pebbles would be burried within hours. The festae are not nearly as bad so hopfully these stand a better chance so I'm ready to try again.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Thanks Jamie. The rocks are enclosed so they do not have access for spawning, they only have a couple holes drilled to allow water in so they sink. The material they are made out of makes it easier to punch a hole in than clay pots so they could be used for spawning easily.

I can't say I disagree with you on the sand in this pic and I really appreciate the honest feedback, I am on the fence. For what it's worth, the lighting is a 300watt shop light and the tank is cloudy. I am sure it will look darker with regular tank lighting on it. (hopefully anyway)
Lighting will make a lot of difference. I think the rock idea is a good one. I've always just used Home Depot/Lowe's bagged pea gravel. Just needs a good washing. So the "rocks" are hollow then? I'd love to drill an opening into a few of them for my tank. PM what the cost for a couple of the larger ones would be...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store