Snook ID

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
Hello, I got a snook about 7 inches from Wes. Hes an absolute awesome specimen and has become my favorite. However, in order to plan ahead on his tank size I need to know what he is. Wes and I think hes a black snook, but I'm not totally convinced. Maybe hes a Mexican, definitely not a swordspine or a fat snook. Far from a common. You decide! Hes in a 125 now.

20190624_195604.jpg

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice addition. I’d go with Wes as he’s better at ID’ing these fish. Had some swordspines and were really great fish.

Reactions: jerrad smith

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
They're surprisingly not aggressive, no bullying and no chasing. When I first got him he went on strike for about 2 weeks and wouldnt eat anything. I tried live, and dead. Hence the algae, feeding to much it's now about gone. A little convict that was supposed to be food ended up bullying him then got eaten. How were the swords? Never kept them

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
The other subspecies all have yellow on their fins. But that can be effected by diet, water parameters and such. I know the waters in florida hold a lot of tannins that make it very dark. I'm about to start raising the salinity to see if any changes happen, hes pure fresh right now.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
While I'm inclined to go along with what Wes said the species is it looks very much like the snooks that I had a few years ago.They were Centropomus ensiferus.

Reactions: jerrad smith

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
The black snook fits him well, another guy had one on here looking to ID from Wes. I'm unsure if he was successful at doing so. I've always debated between the black, and the Mexican.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Its definitely not a swordspine. No large spike in the caudal fin. Ends smoothly and round, colors are close though. That's what makes it tricky
Ah youre right.I didnt even notice the missing spine!

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
The common, the tarpon, the fat and the swordspine all have yellow in the fins. He doesn't have any yellow in anyway. Completely black, which is pretty awesome but a quick google search for black snook brings up a fish that will require my home to live in. Which I'm perfectly fine with, the wife might not be. Lol

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
I've been wanting a snook since I caught one as a little kid, so this guy isnt going anywhere. Plus, this fish was from Wes's personal collection. I keep the water very low because he thrashes during feeding time and the cat likes to put her paws in the tank. Hence the bubbles and overall crappy picture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store