Snook ID

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Both pectinatus and robalito have extended anal fins, with obvious long spines, unlike your photo.
One of the fishermen here brought me an undecimalis the other day, weighed between 12 and 15 lbs, and about 3 ft long, caught in open ocean, very tasty.

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
Both pectinatus and robalito have extended anal fins, with obvious long spines, unlike your photo.
One of the fishermen here brought me an undecimalis the other day, weighed between 12 and 15 lbs, and about 3 ft long, caught in open ocean, very tasty.
What do you think he is?

jerrad smith

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2011
North carolina
I
The anal fin looks either parallelus or undecimalis, of the 4 species in my Fishes of Costa Rica hand book.
Think the parallelus is close, but its not a common. Just hard to figure it out as different locations are colored differently, hard species to figure out to begin with.

snookman

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2005
Fairhope, AL
If you can find out collection point I can point you in the right direction. Black snook are from the Pacific side. If he got this one where he got the batch he had when I got my swordspine from him then I am inclined to think Mexican snook as well.

Centropomus species--->
Vids in my signature are of the swordspine I had.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store