Snow Gar temptations

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hey Barrett, just curious on what the prices are for the fish in those pics.
Not sure Neil, these are actually from FB page of one of my favorite LFS (even though it's in BKK; I got my Blue Base from him), the guy tags me every time he gets in something really cool, but it didn't mention prices. I'll call him later today and ask, but if I had to guess the (negotiable) prices would be about 60,000 Thb (~US$1,925) for the Snow Gar, as it's a pretty decent size (26"+); and for the 'koi-like' Parrots, nice as they are I'd be kinda surprised if they were more than US$75-$100. After I chat with him I'll let you know how accurate these guesses are. Looking fwd to stopping in there near end of the month too (interested to see if other shops are also carrying similar Parrots, I can't recall seeing them before).

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks Barrett, I'm always interested in what your local prices are, vs my local prices. I have seen white/orange parrots locally in the past, but not KKP looking specimens like those appear to be. Then again I rarely get out to the LFS's south of me like I did in the past. Matthew may have a better idea as he now works in one of the shops that I used to frequent. Matteus Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thanks Barrett, I'm always interested in what your local prices are, vs my local prices. I have seen white/orange parrots locally in the past, but not KKP looking specimens like those appear to be. Then again I rarely get out to the LFS's south of me like I did in the past. Matthew may have a better idea as he now works in one of the shops that I used to frequent. Matteus Matteus
Ya about that. I wasn’t a very good fit for the culture there. I decided to leave after a month. :shakehead

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well I was pretty close with my estimates: The 26" Snow Gar is 65,000 Thb (~US$2,080), though I'd bet it could be negotiated down to about $1,800. He just sold out of the Parrots but he'll soon be getting in another 100 pieces of the red & white "Santa" Parrots as they're calling them, which are selling for 2,500 Thb ($80).

• Wow
Reactions: RD. and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ooops. Sorry to hear that things didn't work out.
No worries. I have been offered a few new opportunities, that have more freedom and are much more lucrative as well. I was pretty bummed at first but I have a great group of friends to lean on. I learned a bunch, some good, some not so good, but I don’t regret trying.

I got to clean out the big L tank with the 3.5’ golden back aro. That was my dream and I accomplished it before I left. What a magnificent beast, I can understand why people love Aros now. It came up to me as I was about to stick my hand in the 800 gal tank and I was like hmm what should I do? So I gave it a quick pet on the head and it was neat. It didn’t bother me at all.

So back to the sexy white gar..
Are you thinking of picking it up Barret? :popcorn::hearts:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
No worries. I have been offered a few new opportunities, that have more freedom and are much more lucrative as well. I was pretty bummed at first but I have a great group of friends to lean on. I learned a bunch, some good, some not so good, but I don’t regret trying.

I got to clean out the big L tank with the 3.5’ golden back aro. That was my dream and I accomplished it before I left. What a magnificent beast, I can understand why people love Aros now. It came up to me as I was about to stick my hand in the 800 gal tank and I was like hmm what should I do? So I gave it a quick pet on the head and it was neat. It didn’t bother me at all.

So back to the sexy white gar..
Are you thinking of picking it up Barret? :popcorn::hearts:
That's the attitude Matthew, just about everything in life is a learning lesson of some value, and for sure when it comes to employment/business. Glad you could experience that Xback, lol you'll be suffering from gold fever now :) bet you $10 you have one some day.

As to me getting the gar, no, as tempting as it is to put a beauty like that in the 375 (which just has the young Datnoid and Flagtail, as stated in OP I'm not confident to be able to take care of something that gets that enormous long-term, esp. as I don't own my home. If anything I'd like to down size a bit, taking care of 4 good-sized tanks is taking a toll on my time, esp. in regards to business efforts and personal adventures.

Reactions: RD. and Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store