Snowflake Eel setup?

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
So, I noticed that in the lfs that they tend to put the young snowflake eels in freshwater tanks and sell them as such, even though they SHOULD be kept in brackish water.

I have a snowflake eel being ordered in, but I was wondering how exactly I should make the switch from freshwater to brackish. The eel itself will be used to freshwater, so I have a freshwater tank set up for him that I plan on slowly changing the salinity of, since I know freshwater isn't really good for them.

But... how exactly do I make the switch properly? I've never altered a tank from fresh to brackish before, and I was wondering if there are any good tips for it. Anything helps!

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I would find out what parameters they are keeping them in, set up your tank with the same parameters and very slowly over time transition the paramaters to the correct/desired parameters in your home tank.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
If that's the case I have a lot of work ahead of me, haha! I'm willing to do whatever for the eel, though I think converting slowly to marine might have some difficulties? I don't know, I've never done it >->

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If that's the case I have a lot of work ahead of me, haha! I'm willing to do whatever for the eel, though I think converting slowly to marine might have some difficulties? I don't know, I've never done it >->
I suggest you get the Eel from a vendor that has it in full Saltwater. This would eliminate a lot of issues. They are pretty hardy but please do research prior to purchase.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I suggest you get the Eel from a vendor that has it in full Saltwater. This would eliminate a lot of issues. They are pretty hardy but please do research prior to purchase.
I haven't actually bought the eel yet, so nothing is set in stone as for where I'm getting it, though the store I had ordered it to might give me some looks, haha. I know there's another place that's locally owned, and I could check to see if they have any. You never know with them, but they do take amazing care of their tanks and the animals in them. The only difference is that I can't order anything in at that store, and I don't feel all that comfortable buying online.

I've been doing a lot of research, it was just the prospect of slowly converting a tank that was daunting tbh. If I can avoid that altogether by getting an eel from elsewhere, that'll be great.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Snowflake moray eels are most deffinately full salt water. Unlike some eels that go to brackish water while young snowflakes do not. Why would they put a saltwater eel in full fresh? Do they come in in fresh? They can tolerate high brackish conditions like 1.012. Are they actually snowflake eel Echidna nebulosa? Not good in fresh water dont get them from there either wrong eel or going to die.
Not my pics but these are snowflake eels

If you do decide to do the transition you will need to carry it out over the course of about 3 weeks. Generally I raise the salt level by 1 ppm every day. You could do it quicker with some hardier brackish species, but since this is a scaleless, fully marine moray eel, you need to do it extremely slowly. I have done this many times and will admit it is not the easiest process in the world, as you need to react immediately if the animal shows any signs of stress. Good luck!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you do decide to do the transition you will need to carry it out over the course of about 3 weeks. Generally I raise the salt level by 1 ppm every day. You could do it quicker with some hardier brackish species, but since this is a scaleless, fully marine moray eel, you need to do it extremely slowly. I have done this many times and will admit it is not the easiest process in the world, as you need to react immediately if the animal shows any signs of stress. Good luck!
The issue really is it shouldnt be in fresh to begin with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store