So, how's that fish taste, anyway?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
As far as local catch for myself it's hard to beat panfish. bluegill, crappie, pumpkinseed and such.

But, I have to say my favorite fish of all is Mahi Mahi ! A good friend of mine goes deep sea fishing every year and brings home some of the best fish for grilling you could ask for.
It's hard to beat grilled Mahi Mahi!

Reactions: Ryryryry

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Over here we have snoek, which is awesome when braai'd (Barbecued) in foil with some lemon herb butter. It's a thin fish with a lot of flavour, it can be dry but is crazy good when cooked properly.

Kingklip is also super tasty and firm fish, quite like it grilled or pan fried. We also get saltwater angelfish, which taste alright but not a massive fan. People here also know how to make fantastic mussel poitjie, like a stew almost. Holy smokes that stuff is good.

Also mackerel never fails to impress, but is hard to find over here :(

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
We were able to try John Dory. They said they only get it in a couple times a year and usually sells out same day. It was excellent raw
Never tried it raw, but they're one of the fish we catch here and they're pretty good cooked fresh.
I'm not a fan of fresh water fish generally, though I tried some catfish when we visited my sister in Texas and it was pretty good. I'm pretty fussy with fish, because I know how good it tastes when it's been pulled from the water only a couple of hours before you cook it. Can't beat fresh-caught Tarakihi (Nemadactylus macropterus).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Lionfish is supposed to taste good.
So I've heard.When I was in the Bahamas strolling on the beach I came across a huge lionfish carcass that had apparently washed ashore.It was as big as a basketball.....and that was just the body.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
No, this won't be a rehashing of that thread (you know the one), instead, I want to hear about the tastiest fish you've eaten around the globe.
Can someone put in a link to "that thread"? I'd like to see what people have to say about what aquarium fish taste like.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
It was possibly the most controversial thread ever. A certain owner had a pacu that had outgrown its tank, so he ate it. I can't find the thread so I might not be remembering the title correctly, or it may be intentionally buried. Perhaps someone else can recall it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It was possibly the most controversial thread ever. A certain owner had a pacu that had outgrown its tank, so he ate it. I can't find the thread so I might not be remembering the title correctly, or it may be intentionally buried. Perhaps someone else can recall it.
There have been several threads like that including one where a kid chopped up his jaguar cichlid and started trolling people into fights.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store