So i think im going to do it.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I've also used 100mm thick sheets of coarse black sponge. You can buy 2m x 1m x 10cm thick sheets. Put into stackable crates to clean your water. The sponges can be hard to clean, I use a water blaster. Tend to be better for biological if you pre filter the water first.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I used 3mm HDPE granules (the raw beads used to make a myriad of PE plastic products including K1 & rain water tanks) as a deep static bed to prefilter. Initially down flow. So just drop the water through from top over the dry granules which would float. To clean you flood fill the chamber, stir to release the muck out of granules then flush to drain. The raw granules are very cheap in 20 kg bags but they tend to escape and are messy.

I upgraded to micro K1 but upflow. I know when it's time to clean because the level of media starts to rise up in the container. You can stack 5 gallon buckets (without bottom) to make longer height open top tubes. The media was more expensive but easy to use & can filter high flow to about 50 micron.
I did not know I could use k1 as a pre filter. I will have to look into this

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Well it has begun, I have most of the supplies. All I need now is one more ibc tote and a 1/4 in sheet of plywood. I just started to do the electrical, my pump will be in tomorrow. I went with a 9480gph 1.5 HP. It is 230v single phase so I am going to use a Contactor to turn it on this way I will use one of the wireless remote to activate the coil and turn one the pump. They are only $12. I am going to drill the holes and plum everything up in the basement and just leave the connections upstairs till I am ready to switch everything over. I am also adding a 2 inch return and a 2 inch drain. So I will have two 1 1/2 inch and one 2 inch drain, plus a 1 1/2 for the emergency one. I am going to run the 2 inch return all the way to the tank and just put a 90 on it. If I need to make a spray bar I will but I will have two 1 inch and one 2 inch return but the plumbing from the pump is all 2 inch and drops down at the over flow for 2 of them. I am adding about 400 gallons to the system maybe a bit more they are the 275 gallons totes the first one I will fill about 8 inchs from the top but the second one I am going to run almost full. I will be using two 5 gallon buckets with filter pads and pond brushes on top,( maybe 3) in the first ibc tote I will be running 2 cu ft of k3 media mostly for Mechanical filtration and I will put all the 6 MP blacks and 4 bright well ones in the second tote. I might add more k3 but I wanted to start with that. I will also have to plum my algae scrubber in and do a drain too. In the next month or two I will get a pool sand filter but fill it with glass beads to polish my water it gets down to 10-15 microns and it is reusable carbon will do 5 microns but for how long and it needs to be replaced. Once I am done treating the tank I will put the system online. No sense in treating more water. Never had a problem with Nutrients but as all my fish get bigger the extra water won't hurt. 1000 gallon system is not bad and I can always add more ibc totes if I want iam just going to use bulkheads to connect them. To bad I could not get a deal on the 330 gallon ones.

Why all of a sudden when I upload pictures it tells me they are too big my phone has not changed in years and this just started a few weeks ago. Anyone else having this problem?

20210526_205134.jpg

20210526_201248.jpg

20210526_201239.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214048_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214039_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214030_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214025_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214019_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214014_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-214011_Gallery.jpg

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I have been holding off putting the sides on my stand because I could not think of a good way to make them so I can get in and out of there to change the the filter socks and do maintenance. I thought of magnets, big doors, sliding doors but all of the would not give me easy access. We'll that brings me to my next thing I am going to drill holes in my floor and run the pipes into my basement. I am looking into using a small 8 x 6 x 2 pool as my sump. If I do this I can just wrap the tank and use magnets to hold the sides on the stank. Also I can make my sump much bigger, I am looking at going from a 125 to 800-1200 gallons. Also I wouldn't have to worry about spilling water on the floor and it will be so easy to do maintenance. A small pool is the cheapest think I can think of is there something else people use? Also anyone have any suggestions on pumps? I am going to run 2 inch pvc straight up and just go over the back with the pvc to reduce head pressure. I am going to need at least 6000 gph after head loss.
Just some more updates wiring done except for the pump. Just mocking up the totes to see where I want them. Holes drilled in the floor for the pipes. It's coming together!

20210529_133251.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133607_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133601_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133557_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133549_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133553_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210529-133546_Gallery.jpg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Looks awesome! I love the water tote for a sump.

Something you might consider in your plumbing is to suck the water out of the bottom spout of the sump and some way to stir up the bottom while you are doing water changes. Sediment is going to collect in the bottom of the sump. You will probably want some way to turn up the sediment while doing water changes so it all gets sucked out of the system. Maybe a couple powerheads? Maybe a broom stick? Maybe some kind of rubber matt lining the bottom of the sump that can be pulled up a bit to unseat the sediment? I am just throwing some ideas out here to spur some thought.

Flexible PVC pipe is great. It has a low flow resistance and it makes plumbing a lot easier. One of its characteristics though is that it doesn't weld (glue) as easily as regular pvc. I highly recommend sanding the sheen of the flexible pvc pipe where it will be welded and also the female fitting that it is mating to. All PVC fittings should be sanded before welded but flexible PVC even more so! For welding flexible PVC I use a generous amount of primer on the outside of the flexible PVC pipe. Then a generous amount of primer on the inside of the fitting. Then I do the outside of the flexible PVC again with more primer before applying the cement. You really want the flexible PVC to melt to form a good weld! The flexible PVC should still be slightly wet from the primer when you apply the cement.

I had to order clear PVC primer from Amazon. The only primer my local home stores stock is the purple stuff which is required by code for house plumping but you can use what ever you want for Aquarium plumbing. The purple is just a marker so an inspector can see that a weld was properly primed before it was glued.

Are you going to make any additional holes in the sump? If so I highly recommend that you check out Uniseals instead of bulkheads. They are much easier to install, do a great job sealing and allow for a little bit of give and bending while still remaining water tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Unis...eywords=uniseal+2"&qid=1622316999&s=hi&sr=1-5

I didn't know that they also make white Uniseals, I have always used the black ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Unis...1&keywords=uniseal&qid=1622316870&s=hi&sr=1-3

Reactions: YankeeJack

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
OBTW: Some times it is easier to work with the flexible PVC pipe if you stretch it out straight in the hot sun for a day to take the curl (from being rolled up) out of it. For short pieces of flexible PVC I will stick them in my oven at 180 degreed F. for about 2-3 minutes to soften them up to make them easier to work with. Sand the ends of the flexible PVC while it is cold. When it warms up it gets kind of rubbery and is not as easy to sand. I weld the flexible PVC while it is still hot and always get a really strong weld. You can also just dunk them in boiling water for a few minutes to soften them up if your have a pot large enough to fit them in.

For 2" PVC I found it will generally go into a fitting about 1" when dry fitting and 2" when welding as the cement provides some lubrication so I cut my PVC pipe accordingly... about 2 inches longer than dry fit (1" each end). Or just measure how deep the inside ridge is on the fitting. Most of the 2" fittings I worked with had about 2" of contact area, so the pipe would slide in a total of 2" on each joint.

Last edited:

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Looks awesome! I love the water tote for a sump.

Something you might consider in your plumbing is to suck the water out of the bottom spout of the sump and some way to stir up the bottom while you are doing water changes. Sediment is going to collect in the bottom of the sump. You will probably want some way to turn up the sediment while doing water changes so it all gets sucked out of the system. Maybe a couple powerheads? Maybe a broom stick? Maybe some kind of rubber matt lining the bottom of the sump that can be pulled up a bit to unseat the sediment? I am just throwing some ideas out here to spur some thought.

Flexible PVC pipe is great. It has a low flow resistance and it makes plumbing a lot easier. One of its characteristics though is that it doesn't weld (glue) as easily as regular pvc. I highly recommend sanding the sheen of the flexible pvc pipe where it will be welded and also the female fitting that it is mating to. All PVC fittings should be sanded before welded but flexible PVC even more so! For welding flexible PVC I use a generous amount of primer on the outside of the flexible PVC pipe. Then a generous amount of primer on the inside of the fitting. Then I do the outside of the flexible PVC again with more primer before applying the cement. You really want the flexible PVC to melt to form a good weld! The flexible PVC should still be slightly wet from the primer when you apply the cement.

I had to order clear PVC primer from Amazon. The only primer my local home stores stock is the purple stuff which is required by code for house plumping but you can use what ever you want for Aquarium plumbing. The purple is just a marker so an inspector can see that a weld was properly primed before it was glued.

Are you going to make any additional holes in the sump? If so I highly recommend that you check out Uniseals instead of bulkheads. They are much easier to install, do a great job sealing and allow for a little bit of give and bending while still remaining water tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Uniseal-Pipe-Tank-Seal/dp/B00TOONO6U/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=uniseal+2"&qid=1622316999&s=hi&sr=1-5

I didn't know that they also make white Uniseals, I have always used the black ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Unis...1&keywords=uniseal&qid=1622316870&s=hi&sr=1-3
That is why I am using 2 of them I am goingvto try and make the first one a statement tank, I am going to put k3 media in the first one and have the outlet up about 3 feet. This way I can go in there and suck it out or what I am going to try is on the bottom of the ibc is a 3 inch vavle that I was going to plum outside and see if I can flush the sluge that way.

I will check out the uniseals I was going to use the flex pipe there too.

Reactions: Oughtsix

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Is that a Relay (contactor) on the wall? For controlling the pump? I hope that is going to be put in a proper enclosure to prevent someone from accidentally touching it?
Yes it is I wanted to be able to use my wireless remote and turn my pump on and off. The only thing I can find reasonably price is one of the ones that is used for the thermostats thermostats so people can't touch it. $11 off Amazon not too bad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store