So my new 400g has a very slow leak somewhere in the bottom seam, but I don't have the means to reseal the entire tank, suggestions?

slimey_frog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2022
So the 400g w/ a steel frame that I picked up has developed 2 small leaks in the bottom of the frame during filling, one somewhere in the bottom lefthand corner and another behind the aquarium also on the left side.

I'm draining it now, but removing all the silcone from the tank just isn't a feasable option for me. The thing is simply too large, too heavy and I have no idea how I would even begin to go about removing the panels from the steel frame.

Since its on the bottom seam (hidding from view by the steel trim and sand) could I simply dry it off and just drown the thing in enough silicone to encapsulate the original bead?

leak2.jpg

leak1.jpg

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Since its on the bottom seam (hidding from view by the steel trim and sand) could I simply dry it off and just drown the thing in enough silicone to encapsulate the original bead?
You'd run right into another leak if you did that, old silicone doesn't bind to new. My suggestion is to get an aquarium repairman, if you can afford it.

slimey_frog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2022
You'd run right into another leak if you did that, old silicone doesn't bind to new. My suggestion is to get an aquarium repairman, if you can afford it.
far as I am aware no such thing exists in my locality, had to drive 2 hours to get the tank to begin with.

My hope was it wouldn't necessarily need to bind to the old silicone, just smother it and seal on either side (since the actual structure of the tank is maintained by the frame, which is attached separately to the beads sealing the actual aquarium.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I see. You may end up fine if no old silicone touches the new, then.

Good luck.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The only way that plan could sort of work...sort of...would be if the new bead was in continuous contact with the glass on either side of the old bead, because the new stuff indeed will not adhere to the old. The entire old bead would need to be covered with a "skin" of new silicone, but this just isn't a practical solution; it would be difficult to achieve, and if you were successful you would still have a fragile flap of silicone running along all the internal seams of the tank, adhered only along its edges. Total waste of time, IMHO, and very fragile as well.

However, a proper repair here does not involve or require stripping all the silicone from the interface between glass and steel, and no glass panels need be removed. You would need to carefully strip all the internal silicone bead on all interior seams, right down to clean bare glass. Using a razor blade is tedious but effective; you need to remove every trace of old silicone from the interior glass surfaces. When you are done you will have all glass panels still adhered to the steel frame, held in place by the silicone between glass and steel. All you are removing is the interior bead (more or less triangular in cross-section). Once you have it clean...I mean really clean...you would apply a brand new silicone bead on all those interior seams, and then smooth it out with a quick pass of a moistened finger immediately after application. This needs to be done all at the same time, so that all those seams are newly sealed/coated with new silicone. You need to work quickly and efficiently to get this done correctly and cleanly.

Working with silicone is a bit of a unique trick, and you should ideally practice a bit on some scraps of glass or maybe even an old, small aquarium to get the feel of it. You need to apply enough to make sure you get a smooth continuous bead; you should smooth it all out with one quick swipe, any bubbles or gaps and the whole job is shot.

If it were an all-glass tank, applying masking tape along both sides of every seam would allow for nice clean-edged beads. Frankly, with a steel frame, I wouldn't even bother with the tape. As long as the entire seam is hidden by the frame, any small overruns, blobs, etc. can be removed after the job is completed using a razor blade.

This job would actually be far easier than doing the same type of reseal on an all-glass tank. Your frame will conceal a multitude of cosmetic sins, and you won't have to worry about compromising the structural integrity of the tank if you accidentally slip the razor blade down between two panes of glass. The frame ensures the construction will remain solid.

Good luck, you can do this. Just practice a bit and take your time to get all the old silicone off. Then, when you actually are ready to apply the new silicone...take your time...but be quick about it! :)

Edited to add: between cleaning off the old silicone and allowing the new stuff to dry and cure, you can probably expect your tank to be out of commission for a couple of weeks, so you may need to plan on some alternative accommodations for your fish while you tackle this project.

Last edited:

ADawson23

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2021
Midwest,Missouri
far as I am aware no such thing exists in my locality, had to drive 2 hours to get the tank to begin with.

My hope was it wouldn't necessarily need to bind to the old silicone, just smother it and seal on either side (since the actual structure of the tank is maintained by the frame, which is attached separately to the beads sealing the actual aquarium.
Where are you located?

slimey_frog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2022
so there's also the issue of the bottom panels that I don't feel comfortable messing with, the tanks bottom is comprised of 3 seperate glass panels, supported at the seams by crossbeams on the tank's frame (the leak isnt originating from the joins between from from what I can tell, its only a very small leak on the edge of the tank, I feel like I'd be seeing more water everywhere else if it was happening in the centre.) because I'd have to sheer off the silicone there as well, wouldn't I?

I also can't really get to the side seams on the back panel, theres a 3d background made up of foam boards siliconed to the back, and I can't really afford to replace it if I have to rip it up.

I've already got 2 tubs worth of fish because this tank is actually a replacement for another I had that had a panel smashed (siblings knocked a steel ladder over onto it). This whole thing has just blown up into a nightmare.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hmmm complete reseal is definitely in order. Attempting to lay new silicone over the old will be a waste of time and resources imo. It will take some work, and you've got to let it cure properly (2+ weeks) before adding water. If you get antsy and don't wait long enough it will most likely fail in the same manner.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You could drop the water level down until the leak/drip stops. The water height doesn't affect how many fish you keep.

If your desperate, flip the tank upside-down and use some fiberglass to seal the steel - glass joins from outside. Might work if leaks are minor but I'd get a replacement tank and toss the old tank out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store