So this just happened today!!!

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
This guy seems to be doing ok. Cruises around and eats 3-4 times a day. Looks like the colour has washed out a bit because of the white sand. I think in the next set up I may either go bare bottom or a darker sand.

Reactions: JK47 and Gustavo S

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Nice! A little tip I like to follow to prevent any food related contamintation: If feeding something in freshwater, feed it something from saltwater and vice versa, might be just something silly of mine, but our (Brazil's) sanity and quality control aren't the better... I've seen tilapia with HITH being sold freezed whole, so I try to change salinity and use frozen food to reduce any risk to the minimum.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Nice! A little tip I like to follow to prevent any food related contamintation: If feeding something in freshwater, feed it something from saltwater and vice versa, might be just something silly of mine, but our (Brazil's) sanity and quality control aren't the better... I've seen tilapia with HITH being sold freezed whole, so I try to change salinity and use frozen food to reduce any risk to the minimum.
I’m not sure if I understand what you mean here.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Oh sorry, will explain better;
When feeding a freshwater fish I always use saltwater food (prawn, sardines, tuna...) so that any possible pathogen that may perhaps survive being frozen is killed by the hyposalinity in water.

The same for saltwater fish (feed it tilapia, glass shrimp, mollys depending on size) so any possible pathogen is killed by the hypersalinity.

It's just something I try to follow, no need to be super strict, but I feel safer that way.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Oh sorry, will explain better;
When feeding a freshwater fish I always use saltwater food (prawn, sardines, tuna...) so that any possible pathogen that may perhaps survive being frozen is killed by the hyposalinity in water.

The same for saltwater fish (feed it tilapia, glass shrimp, mollys depending on size) so any possible pathogen is killed by the hypersalinity.

It's just something I try to follow, no need to be super strict, but I feel safer that way.
I do have some salt water type fish and whatnot to try with them as well I suppose. Thank you for the tip.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!
Just WHOA! Gorgeous ray! what sexes are they ?

On a side note I'll suggest you to get a QT, I'm very fussy with that because there are a bunch of wc here, but it's always a good practice

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thank you.

They are both male.

I would agree with you about qt. The only reason I am not putting them through that is because I know the sources personally and they have done that process with them already. Any fish that I am getting from an unknown source I do qt for sure. Both are cb and came from trusted sources.

The new guy is a pearl and he’s smashing pellets hard already. Way more responsive to food than the first one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store