So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
I've had a few over the years.
The 6 that died where
1. 91cm
2. 96cm
3. 101cm
4. 103cm
5. 109cm
6. 132cm

They ranged from 7 to 9 years in time that I owned them.

The Three I have now are about

90cm 10 years
100cm 10 years
117cm 8 years

The two smaller ones were only 3.8cm long when I got them while the larger 8 year owned one was 66cm when I got him.
Thanks Arapaimag, that's what I was looking for. What size tank(s) are they in? I was thinking that with all the mfkers on here someone would have tried to breed the short body ones, there is a helluva market available.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Thanks Arapaimag, that's what I was looking for. What size tank(s) are they in? I was thinking that with all the mfkers on here someone would have tried to breed the short body ones, there is a helluva market available.
The two 10 year olds were in separate 680 litre (180 gallon) tanks until they out grew them. Then they were moved to the 196k litre (52k gallon).
The larger one was moved straight to the 196kl when I got it.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Thanks for this post. A lot of great information for my research!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Can I feed a RTC worms that I dug up outside?
Make sure that the worms have not been dug up from an area that has been treated with weed killer.

Reactions: chanse

chanse

Feeder Fish
Nov 2, 2015
Can you feed RTC any fruit or vegetables and, as far as feeding crayfish live? Or frozen coolest fish ever thanks in advanced

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I'm not sure if a RTC will like veggies, but anything that isn't acidic or irritating (no onions, tomatoes, etc) should be alright. Carrots, parsnips, zucchini, cucumber, and leafy greens are all good foods for various fish.
Crayfish are perfectly fine, and your cat will probably love them. I'd be just a bit cautious about feeding live crays to a smallish cat, though, it might pinch onto the whiskers. Frozen crays don't have that issue. Depending on the size of your cat, you may want to remove the carapace (thick shell) and claws in order to help prevent gut issues from shell blockage. Table shrimp are much easier to de-shell, so you might want to try them instead. Plus, you can buy table shrimp cheap. They aren't the best staple, though, since they're usually sold without the guts and are therefore lacking nutrients. Head-on table shrimp are a bit more trouble to prepare (they have a rostrum that should be removed), but they should have plenty of nutrients. Still best to vary the diet.

There's a Cabella's near us that has two massive tanks full of various non-native fish people have caught in lakes near us. Oscars, a couple of nonnative turtles, common plecos, pacu, a couple of shovelnose cats (very pretty), and three redtail cats. One of them is almost 5' long and as big around as my ribcage.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

Here's how mine are

Unless you're sure you have a plan for them they are gonna be a burden rather than pets

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Awesome pond and gorgeous fish! What are those pretty little things schooling around the log?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Awesome pond and gorgeous fish! What are those pretty little things schooling around the log?
They are
Haludaria fasciatus
Dawkinsia filamentosus
Dawkinsia assimilis
Natives from India

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store