Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by haywood, Jul 29, 2010.

1. catfish dan

catfish dan MFK Members

Nov 21, 2014
      Id have read this post in the past and can only remember some one saying to use sand as a substrate wich is a very good idea buy to be honest no substrate is even better. I have a mate who has been trying to keep his ammonia levels down in his rtc tank and has just not been able to doing huge water changes added more than twice the amount of filtration required but still no luck till today till i when around and removed all his sand subtrate from the tank did a water test and perfect tested the water the san was no sat in and the amonia tested 8ppm. It was also making his ph bad tank is now 7 water from sand 4, So hopefully he will have a very happy rtc from now on. Thought this was worth taking in to acount whith a rtc tank.

2. indiana hurricane

indiana hurricane MFK Members

Aug 3, 2016
      I have waited almost 16 years to be able afford the RTC. Here he is...

[​IMG]

3. catfish dan

catfish dan MFK Members

Nov 21, 2014
      Very nice now get rid of the gravel and replace it with sand or nothing befor it trys to eat any :thumbsup:

4. indiana hurricane

indiana hurricane MFK Members

Aug 3, 2016
      I am going to get rid of the gravel. I am going to do sand, until he gets bigger, enough to move out of the 100g and then I will most likely have nothing in the bottom of the 300g and nothing from there on out.

5. Piranha101

Piranha101 MFK Members

Feb 24, 2017
      Hell yes they get huge my uncle had two in california that he keeps in a basement pond that's about 5,000 gallons with 2 pacus

6. RTC GAR TSN

RTC GAR TSN MFK Members

Ryan
      Nov 17, 2011
      I bought my catfish when he was 4.5" a month ago and he's now 8". One piece of advice is make sure every fish you have in your tank is more than half the length of his body and make sure you have the tank first. I have him in a 125 until he gets a bit bigger and he loves swimming as fast as he can from one side to the other so if you plan on building your own tank make sure that it's thick enough to handle the hit from the RTC.

7. Reginator

Reginator MFK Members

May 9, 2011
      I breed koi and have earned a certain fame in the local area as "el tio de los peces" (the fish guy). I've got a warehouse with several ponds in it (3.5 metre circular ponds, about 80cm depth of water) and various assorted tanks from the very large to the fairly small. People have started to bring me their unwanted monsters so there will be some more ponds going up in spring, so far I have "acquired": 2 tiger shovel noses at about 14", an RTC at about 20" and another at about 5" (once the owner saw the size of the first one and found out it was still a baby), 2 albino pangasius at about 12 - 14", a channa maruliodes(sp?) at about 15", a silver aro at about the same and a couple of huge sailfin plecs. I'm planning on trying to set up an amazon biotype pond for the south american beasts, something about 8 or 9 metres long, a couple of metres wide and about a metre of water depth could fit into the space available. I'd like to have it as an example to my clients so when they come for koi I can point at the monsters and insist they don't stock them... Here in Spain such beasts are all too common....

8. Diskboy12

Diskboy12 MFK Members

Kevin B
      Feb 8, 2014
      Its good to read that people have smartened up some and decide not to get them. It warms my heart. :)

9. dorrd

dorrd MFK Members

Nov 26, 2011
      Ya a dwarf RTC would be great! I just got a baby hes about three inches long.

10. redtalied1218

redtalied1218 MFK Members

Mar 6, 2011
      i agree. your probly buying pricey food. i just had some pork chops last night, took a few small chunks and hand fed my RTC (Reggie), they eat damn near anything protine rich.