So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Worst case scenario is your rtc throwing the Texas back up covered in slime. That's what mine use to do with it's tankmates that didn't grow as fast. Nasty but just remove it and everything will be ok, except for the Texas that is.

Fisherman _ JP

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2017
Red tailed catfish are not a fish you should own unless you can provide a big enough aquarium and the right amount of food. They grow to be over 3 feet long. It would be nice if they didn't eat everything that they can fit into their mouth!

wrpoole

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2017
im in process of building my first of many grow out pond for my Catfish, RTC, RTC hybrid, Tigers, and shovel nose. i have 3 Plecos over 1 ft. everything started less thes 4".
they will be rehomed from a 125 gallon tank to an 8x4x2 indoor pond for the remander of my time in Connecticut

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
im in process of building my first of many grow out pond for my Catfish, RTC, RTC hybrid, Tigers, and shovel nose. i have 3 Plecos over 1 ft. everything started less thes 4".
they will be rehomed from a 125 gallon tank to an 8x4x2 indoor pond for the remander of my time in Connecticut
Nice. Won't you create a thread on your ponds, tanks, fish with info, pics, and vids so we learn more about you and with you?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Man vs fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2017
Got a juvie (3 1/2-4") RTC a few days ago, so far he hasn't been picky. Fed him a nightcrawler the first day, nothing the next day as I've seen every other day to be the popular opinion for juries, and then a cube of bloodworms today(there is also a iridescent in there with him aprx the same size). As he grows larger I'm looking for more meats to vary his diet, would the frozen smelt that our grocery stores sell be appropriate? Also I catch a lot of salmon out of the great lakes here in Michigan, could i feed him wild caught salmon chunks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store