So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
i too wish their was a dwarf rtc that had the red tail. i have founda catfish that gets 4 inches max and acts like an rtc and has the body style, but has bumblebee stripes. i want one but dont have the tank for it...yet
The South American Bumblebee Jelly catfish, or the normal SA bumblebee catfish? I have the normal ones, which are cheap, easy to take care of, and stay a little under 3 inches. However, they are insanely reclusive.

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
Wait, the South American Bumblebee Catfish is in the same family as the RTC. What if we made a Redtail Bumblebee Catfish Hybrid and went from there to get the colors all well? That's how we'll have a dwarf RTC.

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Bloodpython171

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2018
Maryland
Why are there so many post with people who have a long list of tankmates that were eaten by their RTC or ones who have lost just one and they seem surprised by this? If it ate one you didn’t think maybe just maybe you should start relocating the others before the same happened to them? People buy these fish having no clue what they’re doing with them and it seems that some just want to find someone who will tell them their tank is large enough so they can feel better about themselves. I know a guy with a 750 gallon tank and that isn’t large enough to house a RTC long term, probably 2 years max. Then, these same people give this long list of other potential monsters they have in the tank. You’re doing a diservice to your animals. I bought a 1200 gallon pond for my RTC and a few albino pacus.

504881FE-328E-4B50-A4CF-5A428C62BE74.jpeg

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Why are there so many post with people who have a long list of tankmates that were eaten by their RTC or ones who have lost just one and they seem surprised by this? If it ate one you didn’t think maybe just maybe you should start relocating the others before the same happened to them? People buy these fish having no clue what they’re doing with them and it seems that some just want to find someone who will tell them their tank is large enough so they can feel better about themselves. I know a guy with a 750 gallon tank and that isn’t large enough to house a RTC long term, probably 2 years max. Then, these same people give this long list of other potential monsters they have in the tank. You’re doing a diservice to your animals. I bought a 1200 gallon pond for my RTC and a few albino pacus.

View attachment 1361984
I think it is because they look lost in big tanks. So.... add in some tank mates.
Every tank mate I have in with a RTC is food... what shocked me at first was the fact that the little fish... like my cat could eat 10 in one gulp go unnoticed... while the biggest tank mate gets swallowed.
So it is a learning experience. My RTC is happy in his 300 gallon tank. By next winter he should be moved to his new home and be living in an 800 gallon tank. Yep, I have plans for even a bigger tank... but baby steps for now. Hahhahaa

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wait, the South American Bumblebee Catfish is in the same family as the RTC. What if we made a Redtail Bumblebee Catfish Hybrid and went from there to get the colors all well? That's how we'll have a dwarf RTC.
IMHO there more than enough animal suffering as it is, why add to it?

View attachment 1361984
While I agree with the said, no problem, but I thought I'd also mention that last I checked people are free to live their own lives and make their own mistakes and are free to learn or not learn from them. Knowledge shoved down someone's throat against their will will only be regurgitated in the face of the shover leaving both unhappy and angry. We can only help them learn and raise awareness, if and only if they are asking us for help or for our opinions and this better be done in a constructive and friendly way with respect and consideration for people's freedom and personal space in the first place and then with the compassion to the animals we keep in the second. People who confuse this order of priorities do far more harm than good overall. My $0.02.

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
IMHO there more than enough animal suffering as it is, why add to it?

While I agree with the said, no problem, but I thought I'd also mention that last I checked people are free to live their own lives and make their own mistakes and are free to learn or not learn from them. Knowledge shoved down someone's throat against their will will only be regurgitated in the face of the shover leaving both unhappy and angry. We can only help them learn and raise awareness, if and only if they are asking us for help or for our opinions and this better be done in a constructive and friendly way with respect and consideration for people's freedom and personal space in the first place and then with the compassion to the animals we keep in the second. People who confuse this order of priorities do far more harm than good overall. My $0.02.
I was just joking lol

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store