So you want your new African Tiger Fish to eat pellets?

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
So my Vatf has been packing on weight and loves all sorts of frozen foods, hes gotten alot thicker since ive gotten him, would now be an alright time to try and add 2 tinfoil barbs? I was thinking 2 tinfoils around 3". He and the giraffe cat get along well but Ive been wanting to add a couple tinfoils as dithers, also to entice him to get on pellets faster.

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
So my Vatf has been packing on weight and loves all sorts of frozen foods, hes gotten alot thicker since ive gotten him, would now be an alright time to try and add 2 tinfoil barbs? I was thinking 2 tinfoils around 3". He and the giraffe cat get along well but Ive been wanting to add a couple tinfoils as dithers, also to entice him to get on pellets faster.
My other thought was trying to add 2 or 3 Orinoco bass, slower growers which I think will match vatf growth, but not sure about compatibility, or whether 2 or 3 would be better. Their forever home will be 8x30"x30".

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If he's already taking dead food, there's no need for the dithers. Just soak the pellets in the juice of whatever frozen food you're offering already so it smells similar then let him go hungry until he eats the pellets.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
My other thought was trying to add 2 or 3 Orinoco bass, slower growers which I think will match vatf growth, but not sure about compatibility, or whether 2 or 3 would be better. Their forever home will be 8x30"x30".
Peacock bass don’t seem to grow as slow as atf. At 2” they can get 10”-12” within a year.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hi guys, so I got this 3” vittatus and hes still small.wont take anything but live.. should I keep feeding him live to put on some weight before starting to feed frozen/pellet? are Buenos Aires tetras good teacher fish? They are 2”..

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Hi guys, so I got this 3” vittatus and hes still small.wont take anything but live.. should I keep feeding him live to put on some weight before starting to feed frozen/pellet? are Buenos Aires tetras good teacher fish? They are 2”..
I’ve got them off live around that size before with teacher fish. It might take a week for it starts eating

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I’ve got them off live around that size before with teacher fish. It might take a week for it starts eating
oh Ok.. just want him to learn how to eat pellets too... just so I can put it on rotation with his diet.

rastaangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
What about when you have tigers that won’t eat regardless of what it is in your presence haha

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
What about when you have tigers that won’t eat regardless of what it is in your presence haha
Give him to time if he new to a tank. It took a little over a week for a few of mines to eat anything. I had one they wouldn’t eat if I’m in front of the tank so I blacked out the side and just feed from either side

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store