Solitary Ob Peacock

TarnRich

Feeder Fish
Nov 12, 2019
Hi,

I have a 55 Gallon Cichlid tank which I intended to just be Mbuna, but when the fish arrived the was a solitary OB Peacock.
He only interacted at feeding time but stayed fixed to the surface out of the way for the rest of the day.
I gave him a couple of weeks and then decided to introduce 3 more OB's hoping they'd make him feel more at home.
I purposely went for smaller ones so not to stress him out more but it didn't help.

I just moved him out cos I'm sure it's not doing him any good in there so, he's been in my smaller community tank for 3 days now.
He hasn't overly intimidated the tank mates (dwarf gourami, danios, harlequins, cardinals and snails) and spends most of his time hiding beneath the internal filter until feeding time.

He has no symptoms so I think it's just a personality/environment thing but... Is there a way to reintegrate him and bring him out of his shell?

IMG_20191109_153542.jpg

IMG_20191109_153505.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
The OB doesn't look very healthy. The slimecoat is lacking & clamped fins. Keep him eating, water clean and start dosing Seachem's StressGuard.
No guarantee he's going to pull through this. His health problem might have occured during shipping or originated at the breeder's facility.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Once he is better, to see whether he is a good fit for your mbuna tank, post the species and numbers and genders of the other fish in your mbuna tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Sounds like a trip to the fish store in the very near future. We have all experienced similar losses. Buying a new fish seems to rekindle the enthusiasm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store