Some catches from this season

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Nice catches!
I receive weekly emails from the Florida FWC concerning red tide, changes in fishing regulations, etc. Occasionally see grey triggers mentioned; I always wondered if many people ate them. They sometimes show up in Maine waters during the summer.
I was always under the impression that like Parrotfish, all Triggers are high-risk candidates for Ciguatera and they are poisonous
Grey triggers are mighty fine eating. Better than red snapper in my opinion. They are regulating us to death down here unfortunately. :(

Ciguatera is pretty much non existent this far north. I've personally have not heard of a single case from this area.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
We don't have a good inshore/nearshore TT fishery around here. We get them offshore though .
Ah,I see.I know they can get huge but the tripltail has been one of my bucket list fish to keep for quite some time.....How about lionfish,have they reached your area?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ah,I see.I know they can get huge but the tripltail has been one of my bucket list fish to keep for quite some time.....How about lionfish,have they reached your area?
pretty sure the Lionfish is all over the Gulf and Atlantic.....I have a friend who does wild-capture in the tri-state area's coastal waterways for aquarium trade and Zoological parks and he catches Lionfish in their nets all the way up in Long Island, NY

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
pretty sure the Lionfish is all over the Gulf and Atlantic.....I have a friend who does wild-capture in the tri-state area's coastal waterways for aquarium trade and Zoological parks and he catches Lionfish in their nets all the way up in Long Island, NY
Damn,didn't think they could tolerate the cold temperatures this far up.I heard that they are quite tasty.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Damn,didn't think they could tolerate the cold temperatures this far up.I heard that they are quite tasty.
ya, I hear the same......he only catches them in the summer.

they spearfish for them mainly down south like Hogfish because they are vey difficult to get on rod and reel, and there is no bag limit, they encourage to kill as many as you can

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
ya, I hear the same......he only catches them in the summer.

they spearfish for them mainly down south like Hogfish because they are vey difficult to get on rod and reel, and there is no bag limit, they encourage to kill as many as you can
I remember coming across a pretty big lionfish carcass while walking along the beach in the Bahamas a few years ago.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I remember coming across a pretty big lionfish carcass while walking along the beach in the Bahamas a few years ago.
I remember seeing a program where they were trying to train Grouper to eat Lionfish by hand-feeding them freshly killed Lionfish and a large portion of them were all for it. IDK about the venomous spines and how they affect the Groupers, but I imagine they picked Groupers for a certain reason, likely immunity to it or something along those lines

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store