Source for Arapaima

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Hello all,

The fish farm I work at is looking into farming arapaima for human consumption. Part of figuring out the feasibility of this project is finding an affordable source for fingerlings. Because they are for human consumption they really can't be treated with medications (with a couple of exceptions), so I can't just order them from Segrest.

Can anyone recommend a farm or supplier for me to contact? We would be ordering thousands of them at as time. And just to settle the minds of you MFK guys, they will be kept in 100,000 gallon systems designed and used for sturgeon.

Thanks!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
JoJo at IchibanTropical has them on his site frequently, I'd contact him. he's on here as a vendor as well.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Given the quantity your looking for it would likely be easier and cheaper to order from one of the farms in South America. They almost always have arapaima on their lists.

They take care of cites on their end. You would likely need an import permit though.

This is still likely to be cheaper than having someone else import them and add on their markup.

Reactions: butchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store