South American (Only) 125 Suggestions.....

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
I am putting down my 220 (Don't ask) and switching out it for a 125, now here is my Filtration:

Pro-Clear 300 Wet-Dry
Eheim Classic 2217
2x-AC110 (Double Sponge with Purigen Pillows between)
2x-AC70 Powerheads With Attachment(s)
Under Sand Jet System

And my Anchor Fish:

4x-Geophagus albios (4-6")
4x-Geophagus alfitrons sp green tocantins (3-4")
4x-Heckle Stripe SD's
10x-Buenos Aires Tetras (6 Regular - 4 Albino)

Now I will have Pleco(s) Most likely L144 (BN), and was looking for suggestions for other thing to possibly add if anything....I have access to a ton of South Americans such as:

Chocolate
Blue Acara (WC)
Bolivian Rams (WC)
Keyhole (WC)
Many Different Juvi Sevs (Appendiclutas Peru redneck , Peru rio ualpes rasberryface)
Satanoperca red lips 6"
Numerous Different Corys

Feedback Please....Been doing this for years, and man has this hobby changed.......Some of you you know me, so lets please be constructive...

Nuthman~

:D

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
Guys - I already have 6 of the Appendiclutas Peru redneck (Fry from Parents who were at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago) but they are about Nickle to Quarter size......Too small? Will the Larger Geos Bug em? They are Growing out with my Megasema, and some Bolivian Rams in one of my 75's....I can get almost any Cory I want....

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
at quarter size, i'd say they are too small. grow them to atleast 3". the geos prolly wont mess with them but you never know

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
I would go with some corys, satanopeca and rams instead of the sevs. They can tend to get a bit rough and no ones wants nipped fins on their fish, especially the trailers on the tocantins (they take so damn long to grow to start with). Just my opinion though :)

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
Queenslander~

That's a new mix! Can you give me an Idea as to Quanity? I know the Sants need 4= to feel comfortable......Thoughts! Thank you!

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
Well with the 8 other geos in the tank already i'd say you'd only get away with a group of 4 then u'd be almost full (IMO). A group of 4 rams would fit, but even if u didn't get any rams a big group of corys always looks awesome, aldolfi and julii are my favs :)

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Where will the orangeheads and peachface go?

As of this weekend I'm ready to house whoever you can no longer hold. No more space restrictions... I have a whole giant laundry room of space for growout tanks!

For a standard footprint 125, honestly if those altifrons and abalios are getting large enough to be featured, I'd say just let those guys be the centerpiece and surround them with the smaller orangeheads. As long as they're not powerfed they won't grow as quickly and I do kind of like the look that my tank has right now with 7 larger 5+" eartheaters and 10 little guys roaming around. I wouldn't go over three eartheater species. As I've become a huge fan of Uaru lately I'd say a happy pair or three of those would make good upper level fish. I might know where to get some Uaru Fernandezyepezi locally, actually.

What would be perfect would be to add those massive abalios for sale to your existing guys and just let those be the focus of the tank and add nothing else... but those are prohibitively expensive for you like they are for me, I assume.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store