Spiney Eels and Nitrates

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Spiny eels will perform a sort of choking motion when in high nitrate water, as if they have something itching their gills, as soon as the nitrate comes down they stop doing it.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Spiny eels will often do choking motion as if something is itching their gills but it goes away quickly when the nitrate goes down

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Spiny eels will often do a choking motion in high nitrates as if something is itching their gills but it goes away quickly when the nitrate goes down

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
So I have it around 20 I think, I can never tell with those color changing things, it looks pretty orange to me though, get far redder when placed against white. I am guessing that is a low as I can go with all the cichlids in the tank, as I really cannot grow plants with them. My plan would be to move the eel and a whole lot of plants, it would just be the eel in the tank with all the plants. Is it safe yet to do the switch?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
20ppm is fine, normally the tests say to use it on white and in sunlight in a window. Pothos (devils ivy) can be grown out of the tank with the roots in the tank.

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I am just worried because the eel has been at zero for a little while now. I am thinking switching some of the water in the tanks, Since the other tank is so clean

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
You would be better off with fresh water as long as the supply if free from nitrates and has been dechlorinated. I would always try not to mix different tank water due to cross contamination risk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store