Spiny Eel suggestions with Oscar?

Jhefnerjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
I have a 75 gallon South American tank. It’s stocked with a tiger Oscar, 2XL electric blue acara, a chocolate cichlid and a bristle nose. The tanks is over filtered to 750 gallons per hour (Marineland 375 HOB and Marineland 360 canister) to keep the bio load in check.

I wanted to add an “odd” or “interesting” last fish to the tank. Thinking of a smaller spiny eel (maybe peacock, etc.).

Thoughts or suggestions? FYI - The Oscar i rescued and is probably going to max out at about 10 inches. I believe he’s stunted since the previous owner said he’s at least a year old. But he’s very healthy.

714FE1E2-7887-413A-A10E-0BB71724E619.jpeg

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Nope your fully stocked, soon to be way over stocked. A single oscar needs 75 gallon by itself, they create a lot of waste and even though it may be stunted, it could probably get over a foot. The chocolate cichlid is also going to get big too(12 inches), and the acaras aren’t even max size yet(5-6 inches). I suggest either upgrade the tank, get another 75 gallon, sell all fish besides the Oscar and the pleco, or sell the oscar and have a community tank. You might be able to get away with the stock when the fish are full grown by doing a 50% water change almost if not everyday with cleaning the filters every few days. I could also see a smaller eel possibly becoming a snack to the oscar if it doesn’t hide in time.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Jhefnerjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
So I understand the argument of size of fish vs swimming space but the math doesn’t add up for “way over stocked”. I’ve been keeping fish for over 30 years and always doubled the numbers for “heavy” bio load fish.

oscar - 12 x 2 - 24
Ch cichlid - 12
Bl acara - 6 x 2 - 12
Bristle nose - 6
TOTAL - 54 inches

That’s a bio-load score of 54 for a 75 gallon tank WITH doubling the oscars load #s.

Now I agree from a swimming space an 18” tank can be a tight turnfor a 12 fish. But it’s not overstocked. Especially with the 760 gallons per hour and weekly 50% water changes.

When the Oscar and maybe Ch get big enough I will probably move them to my 200.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Jhefnerjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
Yeah, I do think I’ll wait until I move the Oscar over in a few months.Thinking it through... the eel wouldn’t be much of a match for the Oscar and probably have a hard time since they can be kinda shy.

I like the idea of setting up another 75g. I have a spare sitting in the garage. But I’m going to blame it on you when my wife asks what I’m doing!!

but they said I needed to .... :)

• Haha
Reactions: tlindsey

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
So I understand the argument of size of fish vs swimming space but the math doesn’t add up for “way over stocked”. I’ve been keeping fish for over 30 years and always doubled the numbers for “heavy” bio load fish.

oscar - 12 x 2 - 24
Ch cichlid - 12
Bl acara - 6 x 2 - 12
Bristle nose - 6
TOTAL - 54 inches

That’s a bio-load score of 54 for a 75 gallon tank WITH doubling the oscars load #s.

Now I agree from a swimming space an 18” tank can be a tight turnfor a 12 fish. But it’s not overstocked. Especially with the 760 gallons per hour and weekly 50% water changes.

When the Oscar and maybe Ch get big enough I will probably move them to my 200.
A lot of filtration is good, but no matter how much you have, it doesn’t remove all waste. In fact most filters like canisters create a lot of nitrate. It is the end product of biological filtration. Doing math is pointless because what is important is testing the water. Can’t just assume the water parameters are good.
When fish get bigger, their waste increases. Especially w/ an Oscar. An adult Oscar alone in a 75g would mean doing constant water changes or will get HITH. Been there done that.
The Oscar won’t max out at 10”. Mine grew to 13” in a 75g. Don’t count on cramping conditions to make your fish grow small. They grow throughout their lives and never stop.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d pass on most peacocks. Too small and will get lilies or eaten. A tire track or black spotted eel will work.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store