Sponge filters and large tanks ?

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Why do you keep reinforcing the comment about lower bio loads? Sponge filters can handle very high bioloads; it's one of their biggest strengths.
Sponges can handle very high bioloads, certainly higher than any other type of filter on a per-kilowatt-of-electricity basis.

That is Is efficiency- per kilawatt hour

I'm sure someone will pipe up that too many fish added at once might still overwhelm that filter's initial capacity; true enough. If you have a tank containing a certain bioload that is run by two sponge filters.

I get the how Is easy it is to run multiple tanks with them and all that. But they are not for high bio load tanks. There are better options out there for that situation. I have never heard anyone say you have a Heavily stock tank you need a sponge filter. Also that was my first comment about bio load as my very first post was questions thats why I have questions marks after the sentence and the first sentence in the post asked what are the advantages for running a sponge filter?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Okay, perhaps someone else who uses them can comment on this. I've only been using them for a few decades, sometimes on very high bioload tanks. I might have missed something.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I've used sponge filters in conjunction with powerheads with great success. I really like the monster sized aquatop 180 and 250 models paired to a sufficiently powerful pump.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You call that a sponge filter, now this is a sponge filter lol hahaha ?

The large Poret foam cartridge is 6x6x19 inches, which puts it within about 6% of the volume of that thing. It would be perfect for your tank; I have several in large tanks and small outdoor ponds. Since you are fortunate to have created a sump big enough to bathe in, you could put one or two of these in there and not have to look at them while they work.

I only recommend the Poret because I know the quality and durability of their foam. Some cheaper foams don't last long; no idea what that PentAir one is made of and how it will hold up.

Reactions: deeda

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Also a big fan of sponges and have gradually switched over most of my tanks from other more complicated forms of filtration. My 150g now has a 90g sump that’s just laterally flowing through several 3” blocks of Poret foam of gradually increasing PPI. Provides for excellent biological and mechanical filtration. I also have 3 X ~33g stacked tanks that are plumbed together and are all filtered by only a single 6” X 6” X 12” block of Poret.

Reactions: deeda

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Also a big fan of sponges and have gradually switched over most of my tanks from other more complicated forms of filtration. My 150g now has a 90g sump that’s just laterally flowing through several 3” blocks of Poret foam of gradually increasing PPI. Provides for excellent biological and mechanical filtration. I also have 3 X ~33g stacked tanks that are plumbed together and are all filtered by only a single 6” X 6” X 12” block of Poret.
Might line the 5 gallon buckets I am using as filter socks with that stuff. Never heard of it before.
I have six 8 x 8 x 4 marine pure blocks I also have the brightwell ones too. When I had a smaller bio load I would see Anaerobic process when in a low flow area and it would actually reduce the nitrates can't speak for the brightwell bought them after.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I don't like to do that because you're in effect using the sponge filter as mechanical filtration. Sure all of that flow will clear out a tank but it will clog much more quickly than with air and not work to its potential as a bio filter. I do slower flow in the sponges and lots of flow in box filters. Let the boxes (with filter fluff) fill with gunk and keep the sponges free of gunk and working to their bio capacity.

I've used sponge filters in conjunction with powerheads with great success. I really like the monster sized aquatop 180 and 250 models paired to a sufficiently powerful pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store