Sponge filters and large tanks ?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I run about 600 tanks, rather I deliberately stopped counting my tanks once I reached 600 tanks years ago but keep adding more.

I use sponge filters predominantly as this allows redundancy with 2 large airpumps per circuit. This is the same redundancy as having 2 sponges per tank for much less cost.

Sponges provide an easy visual check the filter is working each time you walk past or remotely monitor by camera while I'm away.

Airpumps don't draw much power so my back up power solution is cheaper and can last longer before a generator is needed.

Sponges will handle high biological loads, but can mechanically clog with high physical waste loads. For grow out tanks that need more frequent cleaning I keep 25% extra sponges (1 spare per 4 tanks) and swap out a quarter of those tanks weekly, throw dirty sponges into a top load wash machine and replace with the clean spare. The spin cycle is what does the actual cleaning so I do this twice, then throw newly cleaned sponges into a holding tank for next rotation. So all dirty sponges get cleaned monthly. Only the high load tanks need a monthly clean cycle. It's better to clean before they get too dirty and they are capable of removing huge amounts of physical waste.

On my larger tanks (10,000 - 50,000 L) I use 1m x 1.2m sponge sheets in linked IBC filter chambers. Stacked vertical so they slide out for cleaning.

I do use other filters but sponges are my main filtration. They can be easily shaped and drilled if you freeze them. Easily joined with glue. The molecular structure and manufacture process is quite interesting if you take the time to look up.

Reactions: jjohnwm and deeda

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Forgot to add that for large heavily stocked tanks or fishrooms using central air to sponges, it's very easy to add an oxygen cylinder with a normally closed solenoid valve connected to the airline feed. When the power fails the solenoid opens and pure oxygen is slow bleed into the tanks. Very simple, no effort or monitoring required.

Oxygen cylinder can still be used for shipping etc as well.

Reactions: jjohnwm and deeda

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I don't like to do that because you're in effect using the sponge filter as mechanical filtration. Sure all of that flow will clear out a tank but it will clog much more quickly than with air and not work to its potential as a bio filter. I do slower flow in the sponges and lots of flow in box filters. Let the boxes (with filter fluff) fill with gunk and keep the sponges free of gunk and working to their bio capacity.
I actually meant that I will use several air powered sponges on one end of the tank, then a powerhead on the other end to send debris towards the sponges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store