Sponge filters only?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So how effective are sponge filters really? Could i, in theory, provide effective biological filtration for a 150-200 gallon system with 3-4 large sponge filters?

The big picture here is that im trying to rig up a stacked tank system where the bottom tank could be part of the display but also a type of live-in, planted sump tank.

The main display would be about 150 gallons and the bottom would be 50-60. An overhead planter sump would also be in the works for this setup. I have some rudimentary plans drawn up but nothing sensible enough to post yet lol.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So how effective are sponge filters really? Could i, in theory, provide effective biological filtration for a 150-200 gallon system with 3-4 large sponge filters?

The big picture here is that im trying to rig up a stacked tank system where the bottom tank could be part of the display but also a type of live-in, planted sump tank.

The main display would be about 150 gallons and the bottom would be 50-60. An overhead planter sump would also be in the works for this setup. I have some rudimentary plans drawn up but nothing sensible enough to post yet lol.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Yes Sponges will definitely do the job but like with any other filter just keep them maintained don't let them clog up. Also test your parameters like normal to make sure the Sponge are handling your bio load.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Oh so it looks like ive got some support for this idea. I have seen jasons tanks and im very envious of his chocolate tank in particular. I had no idea they were sponge filter only tanks though.

tlindsey tlindsey i will definitely be monitoring it closely as i do with all of my wacky experiments. Plan is to only stock the system lightly until i have that overhead planter sump in place and the bottom tank covered in java moss. I had good results from the 3' planter i used on my 75. So im thinking one about 2-3 times that size stacked with pothos will make a sizable dent.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh so it looks like ive got some support for this idea. I have seen jasons tanks and im very envious of his chocolate tank in particular. I had no idea they were sponge filter only tanks though.

tlindsey tlindsey i will definitely be monitoring it closely as i do with all of my wacky experiments. Plan is to only stock the system lightly until i have that overhead planter sump in place and the bottom tank covered in java moss. I had good results from the 3' planter i used on my 75. So im thinking one about 2-3 times that size stacked with pothos will make a sizable dent.

Thanks for your input!
Your very welcome!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA

Thanks for your input!
Yup. In larger tanks you need to make sure to add powerheads for proper circulation.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I use sponge filters for all my grow out tank usually a 40-50g with 1-2 sponges and a 1,200-1,500gph powerhead for circulation. Honestly sponge filter is one of the best and simplest.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I use sponge filters for all my grow out tank usually a 40-50g with 1-2 sponges and a 1,200-1,500gph powerhead for circulation. Honestly sponge filter is one of the best and simplest.
Does the sponge affect the power of the pump noticeably? I want to run the return from my sump through a big sponge then back up to the main tank. Pump i have is only good for around 1250 at 4' head though. So if the sponge dampens that any more i think im gonna have to upsize my pump.

1200 gph in a 40 gal? That sounds like a turbulent tank man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store